• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for my fellow Kemetics: Do You Believe the gods punish?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I would like your opinions. I started a thread that I think it's possible the gods are punishing us with the oil spill and other disasters, and a lot of people basically said my gods are hateful and petty if that's true. What do you think? Can the gods punish? We all know the myths say Sekhmet almost wiped out mankind for disobeying Ra's commands.

Rainbow Mage

Yes, and is humanity right now deserving of punishment? Think what we're doing to the planet!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why would gods use some impractical, inefficient and imprecise Rube Goldberg method of doling punishment, especially considering it would be an ineffective punishment considering 99.99% of the people aren't even going to be aware of any sort of message or lesson behind it?

Rainbow Mage

Well the punishments can keep getting worse until they're ready to acknowledge we need change Father Heathen. Certainly with some people it takes longer to grasp things

Rainbow Mage

With the idiots in Washington I get the feeling it will take a lot to get them to change their minds

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
I think it's less of a punishment and more a natural upholding of Ma'at. Ma'at is more of a force of nature that when anything becomes too much of one thing or another, the opposite must take place in some form in order to create a balance of energy. A god may have been responsible for the spill, but it seems that either he/she was upholding Ma'at, or Ma'at played itself out naturally.

acidrica

Wannabe Mortician
I personally don't believe that a god would harm the ecosystem in that way, though I do agree that could be a natural reaction of Ma'at. I also don't believe that the gods necessarily have the power to cause great natural disasters. I'm not sure why I think that way, but that's just the impression I get.

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
Well, Sep Tepy was the time of the gods power over Earth, and that was a long time ago. Now they generally leave it all up to us and Ma'at to work itself out.