• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Tyr

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Yesterday I did a cord cutting. It was to help me let go of the negativity my trauma has caused me. While doing so I got the urge to ask for the god Tyr's help. I didnt know why I felt so strongly that I should ask for his help but I figured he's a war deity. I been through my own battles with child abuse and am a warrior in my own right. He'd understand ptsd very well as a war deity having seen the affects it has on people. Also it was Tuesday. His sacred day. I didn't know much about him I hadn't plan on invoking him prior to setting up but the idea of the spell without invoking him first didn't feel right. So I asked for his help. After the spell I promised him a poem as an offering of gratitude. Problem is I don't know much about him.

Do any of y'all know of good sources regarding him or information y'all wish to share about him? I'd appreciate it. I want to keep my promise.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know much about Tyr (see below) so did a Google to find Wikipedia, it has several sources that maybe you could follow up.
Týr - Wikipedia

This is my only knowledge of Tyr,
Tyr018.jpg

From the series Andromeda. Actor Keith Hamilton Cobb must be among the most beautiful gods men alive

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Tiw is associated with justice and was the original sky-father (his name is cognate with 'Deus', 'Zeus', 'Jove', 'Dyaus' etc.) so I'm not surprised at this calling,

VoidCat

Tiw is associated with justice and was the original sky-father (his name is cognate with 'Deus', 'Zeus', 'Jove', 'Dyaus' etc.) so I'm not surprised at this calling,
I briefly forgot about that but you right. Makes sense to want to call a justice deity when doing a cord cutting regarding trauma.

VoidCat

What's a cord cutting?
It's a type of ritual to cut ties with someone or something. To cleanse of the negative energy that person or something has affected you. Someone else might be able to explain it more in detail or better then that but I'm bad with words.

I used this spell I wrote myself in my ritual...i wrote it in poetry form:

Title: Letting go
Fire in my eyes
Steel my jaw anger rising within
Your memory cannot hurt me
I've had years of pain years of chaos
Fires of Muspelheim
I can take a few icy moors to heal
Let me spell it out in this spell I cast
You belong in the past
Let me cut loose these ties
Of which my love for you lies
Abused me you did
But the pain I've shed
Your memory cannot hurt me
When my strength breathes

There are many ways to do a cord cutting. Mine was complicated. In my case I had scissors, a hair band, a candle, a plate, the names of my abusers and 5 stones.
I called each element and placed the stones that I use to represent them around the plate. I put the names on the middle of the plate and placed the candle on top of it. I invoked Lilith, Lucifer, Tyr, and my own strength. I lit the candle. I read the poem outloud multiple times. I imagined all the negativity and what I was cutting ties with surrounding the elastic band. And I cut it into pieces. Then I picked up the candle moved it and ripped up my abusers names. I let the candle which represented me burning through the pain and trauma finish burning then I placed candle, paper, and band in the trash can. I put up the rest of my supplies.

There was more to it then that but I don't feel like going through all the details. This tho was a very complicated ritual. Most aren't that complicated. Fun fact: I did no planning what so ever making this ritual for cordcutting except for the poem. Most of my spellwork is done like that with some preparation but not much.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yesterday I did a cord cutting. It was to help me let go of the negativity my trauma has caused me. While doing so I got the urge to ask for the god Tyr's help. I didnt know why I felt so strongly that I should ask for his help but I figured he's a war deity. I been through my own battles with child abuse and am a warrior in my own right. He'd understand ptsd very well as a war deity having seen the affects it has on people. Also it was Tuesday. His sacred day. I didn't know much about him I hadn't plan on invoking him prior to setting up but the idea of the spell without invoking him first didn't feel right. So I asked for his help. After the spell I promised him a poem as an offering of gratitude. Problem is I don't know much about him.

Do any of y'all know of good sources regarding him or information y'all wish to share about him? I'd appreciate it. I want to keep my promise.

He was the original leader of the Germanic tribes, until leadership shifted to Odin. He is a Deity that is more associated with Law and Justice, as opposed to just "war". He is Rune ( ᛏ ) is reminiscent of a Spear.

He is the reason why Fenrir is bound until Ragnarok, as he willingly placed his hand in Fenrir's mouth as a show of trust, in order that the other Gods could bind him. Due to this breach of trust, Fenrir bit off his hand (typically his sword hand).

He was invoked during the yearly "Thing" in Nordic countries, where he presided over what we would call "court", holding up judgments for "legal" infractions.