• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about the history of Sufism

BVega

Has Sufism or people that practice it ever been oppressed or faced harsh intolerance? Ex: persecution of believers or mass disposal of spiritual literature? I'm writing a piece and would like some direction as far as periods in history where Sufism has faced conflict. Much appreciated!

.lava

Veteran Member
hi :)

In fact, it is not at all important whether the word of “Tasavvuf” stems from “the dwellers of the hall” (shed) [Ehl-i Sufa] according to the outer appearances or from the word of “sof” (wool) as they had put on woolen clothes in the Age of our Master the Prophet.
But there are certain things considered as very important:
1. “Tasavvuf” (Sufism) is to act with the whole of the Noble Qur’ân. It is to act not only with the verses concerning our physical body but also with the verses laying tasks on our soul and spirit, too.
2. “Tasavvuf” (Sufism) is to live that which our Master the Prophet and his Companions (sahabe) had lived. The life that all the prophets and their dependants had lived was also “Tasavvuf” (Sufism).
3. Tasavvuf (Sufism) is to surrender to Allâh our trusts (the spirit, the physical body, the soul and the free will) that He has confided to us. It is to reach “irshad”, which is to be Islâm.

from the first day there've been attacks. i can not tell you the entire history of it but there were attacks in time of Mohammad (PBUH). for more information about Sufism you can visit www.mihr.com

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend BVega,
Welcome to RF!.
Sorry have no idea about your query.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

A-ManESL

Has Sufism or people that practice it ever been oppressed or faced harsh intolerance? Ex: persecution of believers or mass disposal of spiritual literature? I'm writing a piece and would like some direction as far as periods in history where Sufism has faced conflict. Much appreciated!

There was no mass persecution but certainly there has been dynamic tension between the Sufis and the theological Muslims over centuries. This has mostly taken the form of scholarly attacks however.

One exceptional and famous case is of the Sufi saint Mansur Al Hallaj who was executed for identifying himself with God (in ecstasy apparently). This is condemned by theologians(for the obvious reason) and defended by many Sufis as saying that Hallaj's love for God had reached such a limit that he naughted himself: when he said I am God, he meant I(the self) have been annihilated, only God remains.

People imagine that it is a presumptive claim, whereas it is really a presumptive claim to say "I am the slave of God"; and "I am God" is an expression of great humility. The man who says "I am the slave of God" affirms two existences, his own and God's, but he that says "I am God" has made himself non-existent and has given himself up and says "I am God", that is, "I am naught, He is all; there is no being but God's." This is the extreme of humility and self-abasement.-Rumi

Regards.

A-ManESL

Not officially. However many Sufi traditions are rejected by the Wahabi/Salafi scholars as contrary to Islam. So in regions where such schools of thought are prelavent the Muslims sometimes frown upon Sufism. There have been no full fledged attempts to denounce Sufism though.

Sufi Islam enjoys general good will among the people of South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) which has easily the largest Muslim population anywhere in the world. In fact, Sufism was a definitive factor in the spread of Islam, and in the creation of an integral Islamic cultures, especially in Africa and Asia. A sizeable population in central Asia, Southern Russia and Indonesia becam Muslim solely due to the missionary work of Sufi tariqas.