• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about the dead

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Hi, I tried to look this up in the Catholic library, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Where is the Catholic doctrine concerning the resurrection of the dead?

I heard that they hold that the dead are with Christ and do not believe in soul-sleep, but how do they explain the resurrection of the dead if they are already with Christ? :confused: There are many Bible verses concerning this, but I can't make heads nor tails of it. I'm completely unclear on this.

......thanks!

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Good question johnnys4life.
Where is the Catholic doctrine concerning the resurrection of the dead?
You will find it in http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a11.htm. Starting on 992-1009. This should give you a clear picture of where the church stands.

I heard that they hold that the dead are with Christ and do not believe in soul-sleep, but how do they explain the resurrection of the dead if they are already with Christ? :confused: There are many Bible verses concerning this, but I can't make heads nor tails of it. I'm completely unclear on this.
If one dies in a perfect state of grace (like Mary) one does indeed go straight with Christ (heaven). But the reunification of the body is still required. Making you incomplete. Man was created with body and soul. And is intended to be in a relationship with God is such a way. For God saw everything in the beggining and He said "it is good". So both the body and soul were created as "good". But if a person dies in an imperfect state (venial sins) one must be purged (purgatory) before entering heaven. Revelation tells us that "nothing unclean must enter it". Most importantly to catholics is that we stay in grace.

Whether you are purged or you go straight to heaven the reunification of the body and soul will still come.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more clarification.

The Least
~Victor

PS-What is soul-sleep?

Scott1

Well done Victor!

Got a question?
Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.:D

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Thanks! That's pretty much what I wanted to know. Soul-sleep is where your soul is asleep and unawares until Christ returns and you get resurrected. That's what some denominations believe, although for me I had a strong sense that a loved one was in heaven shortly after she died.

Scott, lay off, I'm not done with it yet!:p Give me a few months and I'll do my best! I've gotta find a different book, the one I got isn't as exact as I'd like. Reading too much online even with the print enlarged is giving me a headache anyway! So quit yer quackin. ;)

- and I mean that in the nicest, least offensive way possible.:)

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
"You have given out too much karma in the past 24 hours".

Darn it. I was gonna tell you to quit your quacking. I'll read some more tonight, mr. puddleduck, for reals!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
Well done Victor!

Got a question?
Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.Read the Catechism.:D
I'm not sure I got that Scott; just what are you trying to say ? Thanks for the link, victor.:D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
I'm not sure I got that Scott; just what are you trying to say ? Thanks for the link, victor.:D
I am sure Scott means every thing a Catholic NEEDs to Know for starters is in the Catechism. The same is true for C of E .
If you want to learn more great but we all need the basics to get off on the right foot.

Terry

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Terrywoodenpic said:
I am sure Scott means every thing a Catholic NEEDs to Know for starters is in the Catechism. The same is true for C of E .
If you want to learn more great but we all need the basics to get off on the right foot.

Terry

~Victor