• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Lord ganesha trunk!

Haru13

I have a question about the depiction of Lord Ganesha's trunk and the story behind it. This Ganesh festival season, I've learned a lot about him but am still confused about which direction his trunk was originally facing when he first received the elephant head. I've heard there is some debate about the trunk direction and its significance in Hindu traditions. I don't mean any disrespect - I'm just trying to understand the story and symbolism better. Can anyone clarify which way Lord Ganesha's trunk faced originally and why the direction matters?

Additionally, I was unsure how to best title this thread and where to post it. I would like to discuss this question in the DIR forum but don't know how to get added to that discussion group. If the moderators feel this thread should be moved to a more suitable forum, please feel free to do so. I simply want to learn more about this aspect of Lord Ganesha in a respectful community.

Raju3v

It's great to know you have knowledge about Lord ganesha, especially this month of september - it's a lot of celebration in India. However, I would like to clarify lord ganesha head story does not have any relation with it's trunk direction.

As per our mythology, Lord ganesha was guarding the gate of house because Mata parvati (Lord ganesha's mother) went to bathe. After a while Lord shiva (father of lord ganesha) return to home and tried to enter the place. And Lord ganesha deined his request which enraged lord shiva and he decapitated Ganesha's head in anger. Afterwards, lord brahma (one of the trinity of hindu gods) helped to rejoin the body of ganesha with a elephant head because Goddess pravati oaths to destroy the universe in rage if lord shiva don't bring back her son!

Although, It does not relate to ganesha trunk direction, It's a vastu related concept or you can say it's has a traditional significance and effects the home energy. Lord Ganesha trunk right/left hold different meaning on it's own. It's especially for people who worship his statue or intends to bring one in their house.

Haru13

It's great to know you have knowledge about Lord ganesha, especially this month of september - it's a lot of celebration in India. However, I would like to clarify lord ganesha head story does not have any relation with it's trunk direction.

As per our mythology, Lord ganesha was guarding the gate of house because Mata parvati (Lord ganesha's mother) went to bathe. After a while Lord shiva (father of lord ganesha) return to home and tried to enter the place. And Lord ganesha deined his request which enraged lord shiva and he decapitated Ganesha's head in anger. Afterwards, lord brahma (one of the trinity of hindu gods) helped to rejoin the body of ganesha with a elephant head because Goddess pravati oaths to destroy the universe in rage if lord shiva don't bring back her son!

Although, It does not relate to ganesha trunk direction, It's a vastu related concept or you can say it's has a traditional significance and effects the home energy. Lord Ganesha trunk right/left hold different meaning on it's own. It's especially for people who worship his statue or intends to bring one in their house.
Thank you raju3v for the explanation. I'm sorry, I thought it was interlinked.