• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Jacob and the grave

Frank Goad

In Genesis 37:26-36.After selling Joseph into slavery.They take his coat and dip it into the blood of a goat they kill.And after that they say to their dad is it his coat.And he says it is.After that he says he will go into the grave unto his son mourning in verse 35.But what I don't get is how can he go unto his son mourning into the grave.If in verse 33 he believed an animal had ripped him apart?

The full story is all right here:

Genesis 37:26-36
King James Version

26 And Judah said unto his brethren, What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood?

27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content.

28 Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.

29 And Reuben returned unto the pit; and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit; and he rent his clothes.

30 And he returned unto his brethren, and said, The child is not; and I, whither shall I go?

31 And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood;

32 And they sent the coat of many colours, and they brought it to their father; and said, This have we found: know now whether it be thy son's coat or no.

33 And he knew it, and said, It is my son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured him; Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces.

34 And Jacob rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days.

35 And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

36 And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh's, and captain of the guard.

I got this from this website site: Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 37:26-36 - King James Version

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think when he says he will bring his gray hair down to the grave.He is not being literal.:)In Genesis 44:31.
You mean Jacob is not being literal. Why do you say that? Is he speaking a parable? Why, and what do you think he means?

Frank Goad

You mean Jacob is not being literal. Why do you say that? Is he speaking a parable? Why, and what do you think he means?

When he says his gray hair will go to the grave.I don't think that means that he saying he would die literally.:)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

King James Version ...

KJV? I smell trouble.

35 And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning.​

From the JPS ...

All his sons and daughters sought to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted, saying, “No, I will go down mourning to my son in Sheol.” Thus his father bewailed him.​

Neuropteron

In Genesis 37:26-36.After selling Joseph into slavery.They take his coat and dip it into the blood of a goat they kill.And after that they say to their dad is it his coat.And he says it is.After that he says he will go into the grave unto his son mourning in verse 35.But what I don't get is how can he go unto his son mourning into the grave.If in verse 33 he believed an animal had ripped him apart?

King James Version

26 And Judah said unto his brethren, What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood?

27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content.

28 Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.

29 And Reuben returned unto the pit; and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit; and he rent his clothes.

30 And he returned unto his brethren, and said, The child is not; and I, whither shall I go?

31 And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood;

32 And they sent the coat of many colours, and they brought it to their father; and said, This have we found: know now whether it be thy son's coat or no.

33 And he knew it, and said, It is my son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured him; Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces.

34 And Jacob rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days.

35 And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

36 And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh's, and captain of the guard.

I got this from this website site: Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 37:26-36 - King James Version

Hi,
Although The KJV is preferred by the churches it is not an accurate translation.

vs 35 should be:"for I shall go down mourning (to my son) into the grave (Sheol)"
So it was Jacob that would go down mourning into "his"grave.

But even if he were to go to Joseph's grave it could be figurative, since Sheol can both be a literal dug out grave or a figurative place of the dead.
If we were to concede that there was no literal grave in that case the context dictate that we should assume a figurative one.

Last edited: