• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Hinduism.

It signifies the third eye. A mark of intelligence. One of the Hindu deities, Shiv has a third (vertical) eye.

Welcome to the forums :D

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Here's some more info,..
'Bindi' - Why Hindus in India Wear It
by Kanan Saksena

Today in India and in other Southeastern countries, that little decorative item called a 'Bindi' or 'Tik ka' worn by Hindus on their foreheads, by both men and women, in between the eyebrows, is just that, a decorative item. It comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, made from powder, sometimes felt and sometimes colored glass stones and semi precious stones!! Now an item of beauty and fashion you will find the poet eloquently describing how the 'Bindi' enhances the beauty of the beloved.

Do you wonder whether there is any significance attached to wearing a Bindi? Was a higher thinking involved when the concept of a Bindi was conceived? Yes, the Bindi has a spiritual, health and social purpose as well as a decorative purpose.

I'll start with the Spiritual purpose as it is the most important one of them all. As per Hinduism the purpose of life is to find your true self, to realize the Infinite Reality. Every morning one takes a bath and sits in prayer, (not to say prayers like a parrot), to seek for the absolute truth through every ritual and prayer. However, one has to make a living and cannot sit in prayer the whole day. Thus, as one leaves the prayer room one is expected to put some mark on one's forehead (between the eyebrows - which is the seat of memory) to remind one during the day and through all activities of the 'purpose of life'. As we cannot see the mark on our own foreheads when we see it on another we recall the purpose of our life. The idea is to remember that all actions in the external world are dedicated towards the achievement of this supreme goal of self realization. The purpose is to recall the purpose, reflect and contemplate upon Reality in and through all activities throughout the day.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In many places a red bindi, up near the hairline, indicates a married woman.

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
Why Hindhus Wear Bindi??

as far as my friends have given many discriptions and all of them are convincing i am giving the Scientific Reason Behind it....

Bindi is usually worn in the Middle Path of the Forehead... the Middle Path of the Forehead is the Spot where the Body Balance looses its weight a Bit(very Minute).... that makes your Thinking Slow and also affects some Rapid Works continuesly.... so the Ancestor Generation People knew about this and they have introduced the Bindi Concept... when we wear a Bindi in that Spot... that Body Balance Weights Becomes Perfect....

in Indian Sanskrit Language the Bindi Spot is known as "Shakthi Kendra" or "Energy Centre"

So this is the the Scientific Reason behind Hindhus Wearing Bindhi to Equalize the Body balance energy level...

Hope that will Sustian you...

Thank You Very Much
Well i am also a Hindhu :)
B.H.Shrinidhi Kcoundinya

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
Nice Article and nice find..

thank you... i hope that would sustain your Question...