• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question About Hebrew Bible Remnants?

fortune

hello i would like to obtain more information about the hebrew bible's prophets who mention a "remnant" from what i understand so far it is either those who were removed from (israel?) to babylon, OR those who were left behind in this great move (?) or even possibly women. i have looked in a bible concordance and gotten some quotes from isiash and ezekiel but am looking for more information on this topic...whats the real story?! THANKS!!

Aqualung

Tasty
fortune said:
hello i would like to obtain more information about the hebrew bible's prophets who mention a "remnant" from what i understand so far it is either those who were removed from (israel?) to babylon, OR those who were left behind in this great move (?) or even possibly women. i have looked in a bible concordance and gotten some quotes from isiash and ezekiel but am looking for more information on this topic...whats the real story?! THANKS!!
Are you talking about the remnants of the seed of Israel? Could you give some scriptural references to where you see that so I can look them up?

fortune

reference is:

isiash chapter 10;20 of the hebrew bible

"remnant" is used a few other times in isiash and a few others, i just checkd a concondance.

20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and they that are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. 21 A remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto God the Mighty. 22 For though thy people, O Israel, be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them shall return; an extermination is determined, overflowing with righteousness. 23 For an extermination wholly determined shall the Lord, the GOD of hosts, make in the midst of all the earth. {P}
24 Therefore thus saith the Lord, the GOD of hosts: O My people that dwellest in Zion, be not afraid of Asshur, though he smite thee with the rod, and lift up his staff against thee, after the manner of Egypt. 25 For yet a very little while, and the indignation shall be accomplished, and Mine anger shall be to their destruction. 26 And the LORD of hosts shall stir up against him a scourge, as in the slaughter of Midian at the Rock of Oreb; and as His rod was over the sea, so shall He lift it up after the manner of Egypt. 27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall depart from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed by reason of fatness. 28 He is come to Aiath, he is passed through Migron; at Michmas he layeth up his baggage; 29 They are gone over the pass; they have taken up their lodging at Geba; Ramah trembleth; Gibeath-shaul is fled. 30 Cry thou with a shrill voice, O daughter of Gallim! Hearken, O Laish! O thou poor Anathoth! 31 Madmenah is in mad flight; the inhabitants of Gebim flee to cover. 32 This very day shall he halt at Nob, shaking his hand at the mount of the daughter of Zion, the hill of Jerusalem. {P}

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Aqualung

Tasty
The remnant, in my view, is all the jews that have been scattered upon the face of the earth, and this (especially verse 21) speaks of their gathering that will happen before the second coming of Christ.