• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about being rich

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
How does the bible look at getting rich in a legal way?:)
It always is a matter of the heart.

I heard one person say it this way... "God doesn't mind if you have money, just as long as the money doesn't have you".

If you have the capacity to increase in finances and you are always bent on helping people... He doesn't have a problem at all. As a matter of fact, the more you are able to bless the happier He is.

I always attempt to beat the previous years giving.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Here's a really crazy, off the wall, who'd think to do such a thing, suggestion.

Why not read the Bible and see what it says? You could start on page 1 and work your way toward the back, taking notes along the way. Who knows what you might discover!

Now, this might not be the advice I would give to a young child, but you're a 32 year old man. You should be able to tackle it. Right?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It always is a matter of the heart.

I heard one person say it this way... "God doesn't mind if you have money, just as long as the money doesn't have you".

If you have the capacity to increase in finances and you are always bent on helping people... He doesn't have a problem at all. As a matter of fact, the more you are able to bless the happier He is.

I always attempt to beat the previous years giving.

I like this but only wanted to point out that one doesn't have to be rich to be owned by money. For example, I don't think it benefits us to look at the rich with envy.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I like this but only wanted to point out that one doesn't have to be rich to be owned by money. For example, I don't think it benefits us to look at the rich with envy.

That is so true.

And just thinking that through... people giving for show would be another problem.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I guess it might depend on what is considered "legal." U.S. law may allow for loopholes and technicalities, but I'm not sure if the Bible has as much wiggle room.

For example, someone could become a televangelist and make all kinds of money, have private jets, mansions - and it would all be perfectly legal under U.S. law. Not sure how God might look at that sort of thing.

Super Universe

Defender of God

Jesus said that a rich man cannot enter heaven. If you are educated in economics then you know that there is only a certain amount of money. If super rich people hoard money then there is not enough for others. The reason some people are poor is the unequal distribution of wealth, so, the super rich are causing poverty on others. Whether you gained the money legally does not matter.

The UB goes into more detail on this, basically, regardless of how you accumulated your money you still owe human society depending on how moral you were in earning it. If you earned it by deceit, you owe all of it. Even if you earned it legally you still have to give a great deal of it away to help others or you will be judged very harshly.

Clara Tea

Legal is better than illegal. However, one must help the poor, sick, and homeless. In several places in the bible, it says that it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. I would imagine a lot of rich folks seeking loop holes by thinking of tiny camels and big needles.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
As a Jew, "the Bible" means for me only the Tanakh, or what Christians mistakenly call the Old Testament (nothing old about it).

The Torah doesn't prohibit getting rich. But it lays a lot of responsibility on those who have money to take care of the poor, and it also commands a "reset" button every 50 years to redistribute the wealth.

To begin with, there is the 10% tithe (it was more of a tax, since it was involuntary). This 10% was to support the Levites an Priests, so that society could benefit from their full time services, as well as go to the poor.

There were other laws as well, such as farmers not harvesting the four corners of their fields, but leaving them for the poor.

My personal favorite is the law that if you are hungry, you may enter anyone's orchard or field and eat (you just can't carry food out). Today, if I were hungry and helped myself to an apple in the grocery store, my society would consider it theft. The Torah is radical in its teaching of societal responsibility to the poor.

Radical? Yes radical. For example, there is the command that debts be forgiven and indentured servants (slaves) be freed every seventh year.

But perhaps the most radical teaching of all is that of the Year of Jubilee, once every 50 years. Property in the Land was originally divided up by tribe and then by family. During the normal course of events (bad harvests, wasting money on gambling or partying, whatever) land would be sold in order to obtain cash. Gradually a disparity of wealth would grow. But on the 50th year, all the land would go back to the families that originally owned it. In modern terms, we would call this periodic redistribution of wealth.

So the answer to your question is complicated. There was no problem in the Torah with people getting rich. Indeed, society was set up so that if one person made it big, everyone in society benefited from their wealth. But on the other hand, there were certainly limits as to how long this was allowed to go on before the redistribution took effect.