• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about advanced degrees.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
What the benefits of a professional degree over an academic degree, and vise-versa?

I'm about to finish my BS in political science, and want to go on to a masters degree. A local branch of UNC offers a Masters of Public Administration and I'm trying to decide if it is a better route than trying to find a program for a MS in political science.

I do eventually want to teach, but only after I've made a career in my field.

Anyone able to offer any information?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It can help in finding & doing a job to learn some workplace skills.

"BS in political science".....I always love that description!

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Any plans for a Piled Higher & Deeper (PhD)?

At this point I really don't know. After close to six years of night school, I'm not sure just how far I want to go.

And I know that is a major downfall to professional degrees; as far as I know, you typically can't use them to advance to a PhD.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And I know that is a major downfall to professional degrees; as far as I know, you typically can't use them to advance to a PhD.
Of course you can!
The difference might be that an academic degree has more urgency to lead to a PhD, since academia treats the latter as an entry level requirement.
A lowly BS or MS in engineering, for example, can garner one a good job quickly.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Just about any degree can rangle one a job, the advanced degrees help with promotions and salary.

If your going to teach, go for the PHD.

I would get a job and work on my masters at the same time first however.

Thats what I did. It took me forever to get my MBA, but at least I was bringing in some money along the way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Of course you can!
The difference might be that an academic degree has more urgency to lead to a PhD, since academia treats the latter as an entry level requirement.
A lowly BS or MS in engineering, for example, can garner one a good job quickly.
Among the engineers I know, mostly in consulting, it seems like an MBA or a Masters in engineering are equally valuable, more or less.

Edit: also, just to add another option into the mix: depending on the field you're in, a professional certification can be about as valuable as a Masters.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Just about any degree can rangle one a job, the advanced degrees help with promotions and salary.

If your going to teach, go for the PHD.

I would get a job and work on my masters at the same time first however.

Thats what I did. It took me forever to get my MBA, but at least I was bringing in some money along the way.

Yeah, that's the game plan; having a family to support pretty much rules out school during the day.

And I'm hoping to market my 15 years of experience in my trade to secure a decent starting position in a new field.

Awoon

What the benefits of a professional degree over an academic degree, and vise-versa?

I'm about to finish my BS in political science, and want to go on to a masters degree. A local branch of UNC offers a Masters of Public Administration and I'm trying to decide if it is a better route than trying to find a program for a MS in political science.

I do eventually want to teach, but only after I've made a career in my field.

Anyone able to offer any information?

Politician is a job that requires a degree.

Averroes

(Time to burst bubbles)

In undergrad I graduated as a double major

1) B.A. in Psychology emphasis on Biological Psychology

2) B.A. In Philosophy

Both degrees since graduating means diddly squat in the professional world. As my former professor Dr. Sneed used to say, Bachlor degrees only represent a beginning knowledge of the discipline, but advanced degrees likes masters or doctorate represents a more professional understanding of the discipline. Which is why I love reading about people who claim to have a foundational knowledge of a discipline but don't have a masters or doctorate nor didn't write a dissertation or a masters thesis on a subject but I digress.

If you are planning a career most Universities won't accept nothing short of a doctorate. You may get away with teaching at a university with a master unless you are on track to receiving your doctorate. I guess having a PH.D is just a symbol of being a complete professional of a discipline and it shows you put in the time and effort which is represented by your dissertation. Most junior colleges (to my knowledge) accept Masters degreed professionals, but its best to find out by an advisor what is your best option because a lot of times students get degrees in disciplines where there is no career for them upon completion.

Teaching, or Poly Sci? Well, there is always jjobs for teachers unless you are in a state like California where they are making cutbacks. Poly Sci? Well, you can be a professional think tank, but are there jobs for such people? All-in-all the main benefit with having an advanced degree is more money and more knowledge in the discipline.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Except for certain disciplines and programs such as engineering, chemistry, or actuary science -- it's not what degree you get, but how you make the degree work for you.

I'm referencing bachelor's degrees.

I mention this because you said you wanted to first make a career in your field and teach later on. Do you know what type of career in particular?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Except for certain disciplines and programs such as engineering, chemistry, or actuary science -- it's not what degree you get, but how you make the degree work for you.

I'm referencing bachelor's degrees.

I mention this because you said you wanted to first make a career in your field and teach later on. Do you know what type of career in particular?

I'm hoping to land something either in political analysis or possibly public service.

I live and work in a military town, so both are possibilities, and if I'm willing to travel a bit, I have access to state and federal government offices in Raleigh.

I've looked into teaching high school social studies, but I really don't have the patience to work with kids and teenagers, so that's not realistic.

I'll probably wait to decide on an advanced degree until I find a specific direction I want to go in.

Averroes

I'm hoping to land something either in political analysis or possibly public service.

I live and work in a military town, so both are possibilities, and if I'm willing to travel a bit, I have access to state and federal government offices in Raleigh.

I've looked into teaching high school social studies, but I really don't have the patience to work with kids and teenagers, so that's not realistic.

I'll probably wait to decide on an advanced degree until I find a specific direction I want to go in.

I know you dont want to respond to me but at least in Cali you can teach with a bachelors. You jist need to be certified with the state, but out here you'd be a substitute.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I know you dont want to respond to me but at least in Cali you can teach with a bachelors. You jist need to be certified with the state, but out here you'd be a substitute.

When you respond with something that is on topic and relevant, I'll be more that happy to respond to you.

But I don't care how irrelevant you think an undergraduate degree is and I have no desire to teach in California.

Now, if you have anything to say about the advantages of a professional degree over an academic degree (or vice versa), I'm all ears.

Last edited: