• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quality manager

the_pranjal

Life a Question-Ans Game'
helloooo friends........ Here i want to know your personal view... What do you think are the good qualities of a manager? I want a generalized view....... Hope to get some wonderful thoughts.......
Thank you.....

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
That's way too vague.

Are we talking about a manager of a professional sports team, or a city manager, or a mid-level executive at a corporation, or someone who runs a shift at a local franchise restaurant, or the person who takes care of appointments at the dentist's office, or the executive in charge of operations at a refinery, or (I can go on and on and on)? All of these poeple have the word "manager" in their job title or job description; all are professionals.

Unless you can be a little more specific, it is very hard to identify characteristics which suit all of the above jobs as well as the myriads that I didn't list.

the_pranjal

friend engyo' all these professions needs management ability right? So i just want to know your personal view, what are the necessary quality to excel in management? All the general qualities.....if i specify the job profile then the qualities will also be specific........our day to day life needs all sorts of management , if u come out of professional world.....hope i am able to understand u the motive of my question.?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, when I was a supervisor at an inventory company, I tried to be approachable and answer any questions one of my workers or a store associate had. I made sure work got done. Although I tried not to be a super strict manager, I wouldn't put up with anyone's bull and I would get out write up forms or show someone to the door if their was reason enough to. But honestly is always a good thing to have when you are a manager, and an "I don't know" is usually more appreciated than giving a false answer or just saying what the person wants to hear because you don't know or just don't want to tell them the truth. Also taking care of your workers is another vital aspect.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Respectfully, I'm not sure I do understand what you want.

If you are lookiong for the human qualities that make people generally liked and respected by others, I would think they are both self-evident, and also available in lists accessible by search engine, far more easily than by individual responses on a web forum.

Beyond that, if you want to know what qualities make a good manager, then we need to discuss the specifics of what this person is going to manage. The same skill sets do not apply in all cases, and sometimes what would be an advantage in one arena is a detriment in another arena. The sklls required to manage a small group of people and/or a small budget are very different from those required for managing large groups of people, large budgets, etc.

the_pranjal

thank you Shadow wolf' i got beautiful views of yours...how did you maitain poise between the personal and professional dilemmas? And what are the qualities you infused in your personal life from the professional world? I asked the last question bcoz this will be one of general view...for QUALITY MANAGER

the_pranjal

actually Engyo' whatever a person manages he have to interact with other humans........everyone has a lesson to teach us... So the quality that you infuse in your personal life from the professional life will be one general quality...and you would like to have in other especially in that person whom we call THE MANAGER.......so i posted it here in Jobs and career...... Actually i have checked many views available in search engine but of very very successful and acheived personality....but here i want to know some very common and honest views...

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Oh, OK, you are asking for personality traits? I thought you were asking for skill sets and work habits........

the_pranjal

somehow,but personality traits will be again personal, specific. A manager in sales will have different personality than the manager of a sportstar. but i want general qualities..............and that you identified when u had the managing power.....in any field...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Good managers seek first to understand whatever situation presents itself - whether it be personnel or materiel related. They gather information and facts before making decisions.

They look at their team and determine who possesses what strengths - and what weaknesses. They then redistribute (if necessary) tasks so that they are able to maximize the strengths of the team members by removing tasks that impede their strengths whenever possible.

A good manager praises in public and criticizes in private.

A good manager makes sure the needs of his staff are met before his own needs. He knows that when his staff has the tools (and time off, and a break when needed) for the job, they will be more likely to succeed - and he only succeeds when THEY do.

A good manager leads by example and with humility. A good manager doesn't mind cleaning the coffee pot in the break room if it needs to be done.

A good manager looks for opportunities to reward others, and to help others shine. A good manager understands the concept of "paying it forward."

A good manager creates a proactive rather than reactive work environment. He/she does this by looking for ways to remove obstacles - across the board, whether it's customer service or delivery issues. Something's not getting done as well as it should be? What is in the way of stellar results? Remove it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
thank you Shadow wolf' i got beautiful views of yours...how did you maitain poise between the personal and professional dilemmas? And what are the qualities you infused in your personal life from the professional world? I asked the last question bcoz this will be one of general view...for QUALITY MANAGER
As for any poise between personal and professional dilemmas, they didn't happen. That company has horrible employee treatment, so really work took a back set. I would even show up to the office for team meetings wearing the most graphic band shirt I could find and Tripp pants with the chains in. I usually turned down any extra work, unless I was needing the money. And I pushed my boss around at times. This though was because I was already giving so much to the company (not knowing when I would get off work, working very long hours, traveling out of state), got screwed on several things, and did not get any raises for any of the promotions I ever got.
As for what I infused, it really wasn't so much about infusing anything as it was about just being myself, all while running a tight shift.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend the pranjal,

Management is all about *getting things done* without oneself doing it himself.
How one manages depends on personal style. Godmen uses faith, godfathers uses fear, saints uses love, parents may use emotions. Schools uses discipline etc. etc.

Love & rgds

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One of my management philosophies though is "you take care of me, I'll take care of you." There was one guy I could always count on to count top stock, and since he liked doing it, I would ask him first. He got to count areas he liked to count, and I got the assurance that at least one part of the inventory would be screwed up.