• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q for info

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Iv recently read Emet Ve'Emunah, wich is a summary or statement of principles of conservative judaism.

So I was wondering jf there was something siimilar for the reform movement and orthodox. Though concerning orthodoxy, I am familiar with Rambams 13 principals.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Iv recently read Emet Ve'Emunah, wich is a summary or statement of principles of conservative judaism.

So I was wondering jf there was something siimilar for the reform movement and orthodox. Though concerning orthodoxy, I am familiar with Rambams 13 principals.

I don't know that there is a parallel statement in Orthodoxy, if for no other reason than "Orthodoxy" is not a movement, but a massive collection of various communities. What such a statement might say if produced by Modern Orthodox rabbis at Yeshivat Chovevei Torah, versus modern/center Orthodox rabbis at Yeshivah University, versus the rabbis from any given Haredi Litvak yeshivah, versus the rabbis from the court of any given Hasidic Rebbe, would be staggeringly different in many key ways, although all would share certain characteristic interpretations of halachah that we could probably recognizably name as "Orthodox."

But the Reform Movement does have a series of such statements that it has composed at various evolutionary points in its history. They are generally referred to as "platforms." The latest one, I think, was the 1999 Pittsburgh Platform (not to be confused with the important 1885 Pittsburgh Platform, a very different evolution of Reform Judaism). The 1999 Platform can be found here.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Thank you. I am tryinng to learn what each believes in, as in the similarities and diifference on the approach to torah and halakha

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
The Reform movement basically leaves it up to each Congregation to make their own.

Levite has posted the Pittsburgh Platform link, that's usually the starting point.

All Reform congregations will have a statement of principles and mission statement. They vary widely.

What is Reform Judaism? - URJ

Last edited: