• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting the world to rights ...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
At various times in my life, I have felt that the silent majority stand still in their (maybe our) apathy and let the "loud mouths" have their say, and make society look as if it is far worse than it actually is.

How many times have you (who are reading this) been in a group of friends who all agree what "should be done".. but, of course, because you are all individuals, you fall back on the inevitable "Well, what can I do ?"

When I was in my twenties, I did the rebellious "thing"; having worked for a few years, I was thoroughly disgrunteled with "the way the world was going".. and 'wanted out'. People I spoke to agreed that it would be wonderful to give every material thing up, and go and set up a community somewhere good and secluded.

I was ready to do it, but, I found that as the time got nearer, that those who had said "Yes, I'll come in with you" fell by the wayside - all sorts of different excuses. I have, at times, wondered how I could achieve something like that now whatever "now" it was when I thought it.

But here we still are, the silent majority, still allowing the cheats, liars, thieves and politicians (sorry that was tongue-in-cheek) to make this world look far worse than it is....

How feasible do you think it would be to achieve a show of a "united front of the quiet people" who could challenge the 'bad people and things' in life and be the driving force ?

jacquie4000

When I was in my twenties, I did the rebellious "thing"; having worked for a few years, I was thoroughly disgrunteled with "the way the world was going".. and 'wanted out'. People I spoke to agreed that it would be wonderful to give every material thing up, and go and set up a community somewhere good and secluded.

Sorry but the first thing that came to my mind was the movie The Villiage...did you see it?

Ozzie

michel said:
At various times in my life, I have felt that the silent majority stand still in their (maybe our) apathy and let the "loud mouths" have their say, and make society look as if it is far worse than it actually is.

How many times have you (who are reading this) been in a group of friends who all agree what "should be done".. but, of course, because you are all individuals, you fall back on the inevitable "Well, what can I do ?"

I was ready to do it, but, I found that as the time got nearer, that those who had said "Yes, I'll come in with you" fell by the wayside - all sorts of different excuses. I have, at times, wondered how I could achieve something like that now whatever "now" it was when I thought it.

But here we still are, the silent majority, still allowing the cheats, liars, thieves and politicians (sorry that was tongue-in-cheek) to make this world look far worse than it is....

How feasible do you think it would be to achieve a show of a "united front of the quiet people" who could challenge the 'bad people and things' in life and be the driving force ?
In capitalist societies, those voicing difference include innovators. The silent majority are silent because they accept what is dished out. It is a kind of addiction to whatever products are presented as conducive to the good life by consumerism. The world doesn't look troubled for the silent majority because they are too worried about their own back yard and vote accordingly. A show of a "united front of the quiet people" amounts to purchasing the same product.

PureX

Veteran Member
michel said:

I wish it were that simple. But in reality the "cheats and the liars" are us, too. Just as greed and ignorance does define a few folks among us, it also defines an inclination within each of us. And although most people don't express that inclination all the time, like those few among us that do, most of us do express it occasionally. So even if we could somehow contain every one of those folks who have made a carreer of greed and ignorance, we would still have plenty of greed and ignorance to go around. It would just be less centrally located.

I think the question that has always bothered me about this, is why it is that goodness tends always to be so passive, while evil never seems to rest.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
PureX said:
I wish it were that simple. But in reality the "cheats and the liars" are us, too. Just as greed and ignorance does define a few folks among us, it also defines an inclination within each of us. And although most people don't express that inclination all the time, like those few among us that do, most of us do express it occasionally. So even if we could somehow contain every one of those folks who have made a carreer of greed and ignorance, we would still have plenty of greed and ignorance to go around. It would just be less centrally located.

I think the question that has always bothered me about this, is why it is that goodness tends always to be so passive, while evil never seems to rest.

That encapsulates what I was trying to say; I am certain that there is more goodness "out there" as there is "bad" - and yet, all we hear about and see is the bad...

What would it take to get rid of the lying, greed and cheating in the world ?(Ignorance is not a problem - those who are ignorant can be looked after - if they cannot be 'taught'). Surely, there must be a solution...

A

A. Leaf

Well Michel, perhaps there are people and a place where this will happen. I always had a dream that if JC and his brotherhood showed up they would have the power to unite the World Globaly. Unfortunately after meditating on the issue I realise that it will most probably have to start in one camp or should we say city and grow like wildfire. The powers of the Anti-Christ are so powerfull that is the way in which I think it will happen. It does state in the Book of Revelations that an angel showed St.John the divine the area in which it will happen and on each side of the river is a tree that bears 12 manner of fruits for the healing of the nations. I did with all my heart believe that it would be possible to heal the Nations overnight Globaly, but I think I was wrong. I as I have explained wrote a book once, a lot of bad came out of the woodwork, but I do hope those that did have seen a little light. There are some great people in this world high up in Business and in the Media, and I expect JC(probably under a different name as Rev Ch3 v12) and the brotherhood put a lot of faith in these individuals. But you have to realise we will see who is in power in the name of Love and who is in power in the name of Control. You might say to yourself will it happen in this lifetime, who knows, just keep the faith and keep on meditating. And keep up your good Threading.

PureX

Veteran Member
michel said:
That encapsulates what I was trying to say; I am certain that there is more goodness "out there" as there is "bad" - and yet, all we hear about and see is the bad...

What would it take to get rid of the lying, greed and cheating in the world ?(Ignorance is not a problem - those who are ignorant can be looked after - if they cannot be 'taught'). Surely, there must be a solution...
The only solution that I know of is to try and eliminate it within ourselves. And then "shun it" in others. If it persists, then we'll have to fight against it. But if we try to fight against it within a society of people who haven't even tried to eliminate it within themselves, the fight will be hopeless. Then it's time to move to somewhere else, and find another society to live in.

It seems like the dominance of greed and stupidity among human societies is cyclical. It ebbs and flows like the tides. Perhaps a wise man is one who has learned to recognize whether it's ebbing or flowing, and can move to position himself to avoid the worst of it. That would not describe many of us, though.

For myself, as I watch my country slowly fall apart under the weight of it's own greed and stupidity, I brace myself for the collapse by lightening my burdens and responsibilities, and by trying to become more efficient and self-sufficient. The less I have, the less I need. The less I have, the less attention I attract of the many sharks that now feed off the American people. But the direction is clear, and more and more sharks enter the waters every day. Even tiny morsels like me can't hide from them forever. They will never get enough no matter how much we give up. Sooner or later they will devour me, and then eventually they will finally begin to devour each other. This is the way greed and stupidity always end. And when the feeding frenzy is over, people will be able to live free and happy again, for a while, until the sharks begin to grow to full size again, and begin to multiply, and the frenzy of greed and stupidity begins all over again.

This is the endless plight of mankind: to struggle with our own greed and stupidity.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I can't speak for the UK, but in our country the two-party system and recent events have especially polarized the country to the point that collaboration between people of different religious and political theologies is almost non-existant. The only way to truly clean up Washington and enact social change would be to drench it in a vast majority of good people, or actually elect a president that isn't bought out by the corporate machine and hope he remains true to his word. Unfortunately when more than half of your country refuses to vote (I will presume they're not all anarchists) there's not much you can do -- for most people it's all about right now. People refuse to consider the future.

You know there's something fishy with your government when ssues like flag burning and lowering the interest rate on student loans are brought up before illegal immigration.