• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pumpkin Seeds

Demonic Kitten

Okay, I have a really stupid question here.... How in the world do you eat pumpkin seeds? What is the best way to eat them? I'm trying to find healthier snacks that I can munch on at work. Any ideas?

A

angellous_evangellous

Best way to eat them is to dig them out of the pumpkin, wash them off. Put them on a cookie sheet, brush on some melted butter, salt them, then roast them in the oven at 450f for about 10 minutes or until golden. Yum.

Or you can buy them at a supermarket... just ask...

Demonic Kitten

So you don't have to shell them? Do they even have shells (like sunflower seeds)?

It's pretty bad that I have to research food before I eat it >_<

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So you don't have to shell them? Do they even have shells (like sunflower seeds)?

It's pretty bad that I have to research food before I eat it >_<

No they dont have shells like sunflower seeds.They are though very sort of chewy..Very fibrous.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But you may have to wait until fall.

And if you're doing it, it's quite nasty... so you may as well scrape the meat out for a home-made pumpkin pie.

Yeah it is nasty..It feels like you are gutting an animal.And I dont like the smell either..its a musky thick sort of smell.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Ah.. okay. Thank you.

Don't worry... I plan on trying them. I need to do something to keep me from reaching for the potato chip bag.

If you cant do pumkin seeds try almonds.They are awesome for you too.You only need to eat a handful to stop mid-day cravings .

Love

Dallas

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Some people do shell them, but I don't see the point. That's like picking the skin off of chicken. It's all good for you and it's where much of the yummy salt is. :D

Demonic Kitten

I just went to whole foods and got some pumpkin and sunflower seeds unshelled and unsalted. I'm actually surprised.. they taste pretty good with out the salt. Can anyone else think of any other healthy snacks I could pick up?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I just went to whole foods and got some pumpkin and sunflower seeds unshelled and unsalted. I'm actually surprised.. they taste pretty good with out the salt. Can anyone else think of any other healthy snacks I could pick up?

This sounds basic but bananas and apples..They dont need refridgeration..they are easy to eat..

Cut up celerery slices in a zip lock ( any raw veggies..brocolli..cauli flower etc)..(crunchy refeshing and filling)...

It may be boring..but they are really good for you and fill you up.(watch out though you they make you pass gas...:D)

Love

Dallas

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Can anyone else think of any other healthy snacks I could pick up?
Some seeds have fat equivalent to nuts so be careful. It is the good fat, but a gram of fat still represents 9 empty calories.

Raisins and other dried fruits are great, but take it easy with them. They still have the calories of their non-dehydrated fruits and sometimes more. The difference is that they take most of the water out to dry them and they sometimes add sugar. The other reason to take it easy is that some of them will make you poop when it is least convenient. Beware of a dried plum! It is the new name for a prune. That one will make you poop like nothing, even if you do get the ones with cherry flavoring.

Try to find some veggies that you like the taste of. Dressing or dip is okay in moderation. Celery, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower are all great snack foods. Eat them raw though.

If all else fails a little baggie of a healthy cereal isn't all that bad for you anyway. A good rule of thumb is that if there is a toy in the box or a way to mail off for a toy by saving box flaps then it is not a healthy cereal. Be sure to give your boxtops for education (from General Mills cereals) to your local school!