• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulp mill in Tassie?

Ozzie

What do you think? Should we pulp those forests? Inexcusable is my view having seen them up close.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What do you think? Should we pulp those forests? Inexcusable is my view having seen them up close.
Living in the Pacific Northwest part of the US...we've dealt with this issue many a time regarding old growth forests. It's a touchy issue environmentally regarding certain species of animals.

Given Tasmania is an island, and not an overly huge one at that, I'm wondering why the need for a pulp mill now at this point in time? Nearly half a million people live there currently so I'm guessing more room is needed for housing. Still, it's a terrible shame to clear cut old growth forests.

Is there any chance the people will have a say so in the outcome regarding the mill?

Ozzie

Living in the Pacific Northwest part of the US...we've dealt with this issue many a time regarding old growth forests. It's a touchy issue environmentally regarding certain species of animals.

Given Tasmania is an island, and not an overly huge one at that, I'm wondering why the need for a pulp mill now at this point in time? Nearly half a million people live there currently so I'm guessing more room is needed for housing. Still, it's a terrible shame to clear cut old growth forests.

Is there any chance the people will have a say so in the outcome regarding the mill?
They are making an announcement on the mill with an election following shortly after. The animals are part of it. These trees are really huge. One was felled at 128m.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
They are making an announcement on the mill with an election following shortly after. The animals are part of it. These trees are really huge. One was felled at 128m.
:eek: Wow.

Unless the island's population can be brought under control somehow, I'm afraid eventually old growth forests will suffer the consequences. It's elementary really.

Ozzie

:eek: Wow.

Unless the island's population can be brought under control somehow, I'm afraid eventually old growth forests will suffer the consequences. It's elementary really.
Here's another useful link: Eucalyptus regnans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The problem is not population being brought under control. Tasmania has had a declining population for much of the past 20 years. It is more that the state is underdeveloped, but has an old growth timber industry monopolised by the Gunns corporation that has its hand permanently in the Premier of Tasmania's front pocket. The Tasmanian Govt recalled Parliament to pass a Statute to enable the mill, after having abandonned the scientific advisory board process that had promised "world's best practice" in assessing the environmental impact of the mill, this after unfavourable preliminary findings. The Federal Gov't of Aus will announce whether the mill will go ahead tomorrow on the recommendation of its Chief Scientist. My bet is that they will fold and ban the mill to appear environmentally friendly in the leadup to the coming federal election due in the next 6 weeks. I hope so *fingers crossed*.;)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The Federal Gov't of Aus will announce whether the mill will go ahead tomorrow on the recommendation of its Chief Scientist. My bet is that they will fold and ban the mill to appear environmentally friendly in the leadup to the coming federal election due in the next 6 weeks. I hope so *fingers crossed*.;)
Yes, indeed. The link you provided says that 85% of old growth eycalyptus regans has been logged. That's a shame.

kadzbiz

I've always hated the arguement for it that says, "But it's our livelihood and it'll financially ruin us if we stop." Well, tough luck Jimmy! Crooks could use the same arguement. Nature first, people second I say. The Earth has priority in my eyes.

St0ne

I live in Tassie, The proposed pulp mill isn't desirable IMO, on the trees used to feed it no Old Growth is going to be used, although AFAIK there is nothing to guarantee that into the future. Tasmania is pretty backward politically, there seems to be no real plan for the state and the current government is very secretive and appear to have no democratic conscience. On one hand they promote our state as a great wilderness ripe for eco-tourism while on the other they just want to feed unsustainable development. Why isn't the money here going toward researching the use of Hemp to replace the Kraft pulp mill for a environmentally and sustainable future?

On the tourism side the government wants to turn our parks into glorified natural theme parks. It's very much feels like "our" parks are no longer ours.