• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puja and aarati question

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've taken to doing a small aarati and mantrapushpanjali after puja, and before kshama prayer. Now, when I have time, in the aarati I sing om jaya jagadisha hare waving the 5 wick deepa. When I'm pressed for time (I start work at 6 am) I just make the panchopacara offerings (gandha, pushpa, dhoopa, deepa, naivedya) but I don't like skipping the aarati. I'm wondering if just a few slokas and mantras are acceptable instead of om jaya jagadisha hare while waving the deepa. The song is really only another 5 minutes added, but ... :shrug:

I know, more overthinking. :rolleyes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've taken to doing a small aarati and mantrapushpanjali after puja, and before kshama prayer. Now, when I have time, in the aarati I sing om jaya jagadisha hare waving the 5 wick deepa. When I'm pressed for time (I start work at 6 am) I just make the panchopacara offerings (gandha, pushpa, dhoopa, deepa, naivedya) but I don't like skipping the aarati. I'm wondering if just a few slokas and mantras are acceptable instead of om jaya jagadisha hare while waving the deepa. The song is really only another 5 minutes added, but ... :shrug:

I know, more overthinking.
That mantra is regional, much more common in North India. I've never used it and most likely never will. On the odd occasion when I do attend a temple that uses it, I look like some fool trying to mouth the words just so I don't look like an idiot. So my guess is you're good, but my guess can be way off too. (I chant Isana sarva devanam ishvara .... during final aarti, with fake poor Sanskrit and Canadian accent.) I think you're good to do whatever. But who knows, you might go to hell anyway.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That mantra is regional, much more common in North India. I've never used it and most likely never will. On the odd occasion when I do attend a temple that uses it, I look like some fool trying to mouth the words just so I don't look like an idiot. So my guess is you're good, but my guess can be way off too. (I chant Isana sarva devanam ishvara .... during final aarti, with fake poor Sanskrit and Canadian accent.) I think you're good to do whatever. But who knows, you might go to hell anyway.
Oh, I'm driving the bus to hell. :D

I know there are no hard and fast rules, so sounds good with just chanting the slokas. I'll use the aarati song for when I do a full blown aarati by itself.

Edit: Btw, I know that one ... it's from the Shiva Upasana. So yeah, chanting a mantra or slokas is good. And I have a bunch of Vishnu/Krishna ones.