• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychosis and Spirituality

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
Hi ya'll. Haven't been on here in a while. It'd be interesting to see what you all think about this.

I have been going through psychosis ever since 2020 and ever since then, I have been more spiritual than atheistic. Threading the line between psychosis and spirituality has been hard. I believe there is something greater but everything I have been through could be mere coincidences, but these coincidences have been so baffling to me, I could hardly believe they even happened.

I have since gotten better and I'm living life with a more normal mindset (how I used to perceive things). It's still very hard so I'm wondering if anybody could give me their perspective on this. I don't care what religion or mindset you are in either, anything helps.

rocala

I am sorry to read of your illness, I hope your health continues to improve.
I have experience of three faiths which I believe can be helpful. Firstly Buddhism. There are many reports of Buddhism's benefits. Buddhism and psychology - Wikipedia

Secondly, Modern Druidry. This branch of Paganism places much emphasis on the natural world. It is also well known for celebrating the sacred and does so with the arts. Poetry, story telling, painting, music and dance are all instruments of celebration. It is a very peaceful and satisfying way of expressing and appreciating spirituality.

Finally I must mention the Quakers. To sit and share silence with these gentle people can be very uplifting. They are open to all spiritual ideas too.

None of these faiths throw lots of info at you. They are wonderful ways of seeking at your own pace.

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Welcome back @Spideymon77

Clinically speaking, spiritual experiences are all classed as psychosis. But that need not bring you down, because not all psychosis are crippling.

The key to converting a psychosis from a hindrance in life to a constructive asset, lies in how you interpret what you experience (the conclusions you draw) and what you choose to do because of them (the behaviours and actions that your conclusions lead you to).

Reinterpretation of psychotic episodes are best carried out with assistance of trusted clinicians and correctly prescribed medications. In cases of spiritual psychosis, a good clinician should allow for collaboration with a spiritual leader of your choice (rabbi/ imam/ monseñor/ pastor, etc, if you have and/ or want one). In my experience, such teamwork is truly fruitful and rewarding for all parties involved.

Remember:
  • Follow your doctor’s instructions; especially regarding medication. Never self-medicate.
  • Remain honest with yourself and don’t hide things. Always communicate with your team about any interpretations you have that seem destructive to self and/or others (aggressive or violent thoughts and solutions, for example).
  • Do not despair - you can absolutely learn to take control over your psychosis and where you allow them to lead you.

Humbly,
Hermit

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Threading the line between psychosis and spirituality has been hard.
Aye, I feel ya.

Many times through my life have I been perpetually psychotic. Currently not taking any antipsychotics so perhaps now is one of those times.

On this specific quote from the OP, I say I found threading the line between psychosis and spirituality impossible. My psychosis enhanced my spirituality to exponential degrees and my spirituality would in turn enhance my psychosis.

To receive orders from the Divine of the universe... How can that not fill one with religious stupor?

As I await my psychiatrist appointment which will probably put me on a path towards being wholly medicated once again, I have preemptively given up religion/spirituality. I see that spirituality would interfere with my medical treatment.
I believe there is something greater but everything I have been through could be mere coincidences, but these coincidences have been so baffling to me, I could hardly believe they even happened.
Such a dilemma, that of the judgement of coincidences!

By coincidence I am alive. In the sense that we are all here because a set of coincidences after coincidences led our ancestors to eventually produce us.

But also with regard to the life I have already lived. By coincidence I am alive. By coincidence am I not dead. Close calls I have had. It wasn't till last year really that I accepted the chilling thought that I was not killed, simply because of dumb luck, while up until then I ascribed me still being alive (lucky coincidences) to a higher power watching out for me.

Some people have more dumb luck than others. That's all it is I think.