• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychedelics and Psychiatry

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
From what I read there was next to nothing
that my values and behaviour are not as near
opposite as you can get.

They would accept anyone into their ranks, even you ;)
My mom and dad are ex hippies, and it didn't do me much harm

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Psychedelics are more helpful than useless Big Pharma antidepressants, honestly. Antidepressants are addictive (they rewire your brain chemistry and the brain freaks out when the levels drop) and cause terrible withdrawal.

Psychedelics have caused episodes of mental illness in some cases so they're not risk free just like every other powerful drug has risks associated with them.

And taking them often causes the effect to diminish so people can be tempted to take ever larger doses.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Psychedelics have caused episodes of mental illness in some cases so they're not risk free just like every other powerful drug has risks associated with them.

And taking them often causes the effect to diminish so people can be tempted to take ever larger doses.

far less so than most other drugs including sugar, nicotine, and alcohol.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I'm aware of the link between psychedelics and triggering psychosis. Mental illness runs very strongly in my family. I just know I never want to go through withdrawal from antidepressants again. At least with opioid withdrawal, you actually puke at some point, not stuck with never-ending nausea and dizziness/disorientation for hours on end.