• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proverbs from your people!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
What are some of the expressions your people use, some of their proverbs?

The most famous two from Bosnia are probably: "Two things rule the world: reward and punishment" and "He who lies for you, will lie against you". But we also have many others.

There are funny ones, like "Bog visoko, a Turska daleko" (God is high above, and Turkey is far away) - it can be used two ways. "Do want you want, who cares." or "Don't bother waiting for help."

One the Bush administration should hear: "Don't plant anything where it's not grown on its own".

"Half the work is a good rest"

"What's on her neck is in his home" (Treat your wife well (metaphor here is jewels around the neck) and your home will be nice and happy and well-kept)

"Mixed emotions is a beautiful daughter"

Gentle rain wears down the biggest mountains, so why kill with poison when honey works as well.

He paid 50 cows to get her, and 100 to give her back. (Be careful what you're wishing for, metaphor here is man's dowry to bride's family)

Who drinks wine for dinner, has coffee for breakfast (Face the consequences)

Even the old woman doesn't give it away for free.

He's making a Queen from a servant girl (Exxagerating)

After shaking hands with a Christian, count your fingers (obvious enough)

No flowers grow on the trails the Serbs have walked :)P)

Bolje ikad nego nikad. (Better now than never)

Morning is smarter than evening (Don't procrastinate)

Kako došlo, tako prošlo (How it comes is how it goes)

Mi o vuku, a vuk na vrata (Speak of the world, and he's at my door)

Od Kulina bana i dobrijeh dana (Since the time of King Kulin of Bosnia and the good days, like... "For as long as I can remember)

arthra

Baha'i
I don't have any as exotic as Djamila...What a rich cultural tradition!

But a few were past down to me from my father and his father, etc.

If the weather was clear or at least partially so and sunny and rain seemed to come from no where...the saying was:

"The devil must be beating his wife!"

Another was a little more mundane...

"He's too stupid to pour **** out of a boot!"

Believe it or not, I had to think about that one for awhile...

Horse proverbs:

"That's a horse of a different color.."
sort of like comparing apples and oranges...

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

...It's free already so you don't need to check the teeth!

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

is still very well known and use frequently even when there have been no horses around for decades!

My Dad used to laugh at another one..

"Run for the round house Nellie, they can't corner you there!"

Oh well...so much for that one!

:shrug:

-Art

ayani

my friends in high school used to say "sh__ a brick" as in "get really, really furious". that's a favorite.

there's another one said when someone really does well in something (like a basketball game) his friends'll say "man, you beat that like a step-dad!" horrible- refering to the stereotype of the lousy step-father who beats his step-kids.

there's another one- "hot like Silas" which is an expression i use... with friends in the know. Silas is a crazy good-looking girl i have the blessed fortune of having a whole bunch of classes with. whever i get exhaused / caffine jumpy i'll go on a mushy rant about how awesome she looks. needless to say, friends have learned to avoid me at those times.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I don't know if they are proverbs per-se, but some of my favorite sayings are.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are." -Joseph Campbell

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it." - Anonymus

lunamoth

Will to love
Djamila said:
The most famous two from Bosnia are probably: "Two things rule the world: reward and punishment"

Djamila, Do you know if this saying is an Islamic saying, or is it more culturally Bosnian. It bears striking similarity to a Baha'i saying.

Just curious,
lunamoth

lunamoth

Will to love
Becky's reminds me of one of my favorites, one I got from Campbell but not his originally I don't think.

"I don't know if these things happened, but I know that they are true."

luna

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
lunamoth said:
Djamila, Do you know if this saying is an Islamic saying, or is it more culturally Bosnian. It bears striking similarity to a Baha'i saying.

Just curious,
lunamoth

I'd assume it's both, but I don't know.

arthra

Baha'i
Your right Lunamoth!

It goes like this:

O people of God! That which traineth the world is Justice, for it is upheld by two pillars, reward and punishment. These two pillars are the sources of life to the world.

~ Baha'u'llah

lunamoth

Will to love
Djamila said:
I'd assume it's both, but I don't know.

Here are the Baha'i sayings:

The Great Being saith: The structure of world stability and order hath been reared upon, and will continue to be sustained by, the twin pillars of reward and punishment.... I
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 218)

"O people of God!" He exclaims, "That which traineth the world is Justice, for it is upheld by two pillars, reward and punishment. These two pillars are the sources of life to the world."
(Shoghi Effendi, The Advent of Divine Justice, p. 27)

Interesting. Thank you for the thread. :)

luna

lunamoth

Will to love
arthra said:
Your right Lunamoth!

It goes like this:

O people of God! That which traineth the world is Justice, for it is upheld by two pillars, reward and punishment. These two pillars are the sources of life to the world.

~ Baha'u'llah

High five! That one had me flying to Ocean it struck so hard.

Thanks,
luna

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Heheee, I'm not sure if I have a people!

From my Scottish heritage, I suppose, I'd pick
"Better bend than Break." As an American (hoping it's okay to borrow a proverb from the Native Americans)
"The one who tells the stories rules the world." ~the Hopi.
"If a man is as wise as a serpent, he can afford to be as harmless as a dove." ~ the
Cheyenne.
And, of course
"Gentleness is the Greatest Strength".

ChrisP

Veteran Member
"She'll be Right"

"Nothing a good nights sleep won't fix"

"Harden Up"

"Bugger"

"Bloody Yanks"

Oh and "Another pint thanks Trev"

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
ChrisP said:
Oh and "Another pint thanks Trev"
That one reminds me of a band, which was called;
'A Schooner of New, Thanks Yvonne.Ta'

My nan had many great words of wisdom, none of which are repeatable here, unfortunately.:p

BFD_Zayl

well, im pretty sure this is used in other cultures, but necromancers use it alot as well "you sow the thunder, and ill reap the whirlwind" which means you let another person create a disturbance or chaos, and you get the benefits from that, whatever they may be. another is "in the name of the balance(insert word here)" which is generally said in instances that would also demand the use of the phrase "holy ****!!" and "dont do it!!" ...thats all i can really think of.