• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proverbs 22:7

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am a little confused about something. Proverbs mostly seems like a coherent whole, but verse 7 seems out of whack.
"The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender."

Most of the book is not very positive in speaking of the rich, so what does the verse mean?

Ebionite

I am a little confused about something. Proverbs mostly seems like a coherent whole, but verse 7 seems out of whack.

Most of the book is not very positive in speaking of the rich, so what does the verse mean?
By humility [and] the fear of YHWH [are] riches, and honour, and life.
Proverbs 22:4

Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, [and] liftest up thy voice for understanding;
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as [for] hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of YHWH, and find the knowledge of Elohim.
Proverbs 2:3-5

The rich having dominion over the poor is a reflection of the value of diligence and humility.

The Bible does not forbid borrowing. However, the advise at Proverbs 22:7 gives wise counsel for potential borrowers to resist the temptations to borrow needlessly (credit) and probably pay high interest; thus, ultimately paying more than the purchase price..

Borrowers must realize that until the money is paid back, they are under an obligation. In principle, their resources are not entirely their own and they become a figurative “slave” to the lender.

With practical wisdom, we can simplify our lives by reducing debt and expenses; thus, setting ourselves free to slave/serve for God rather than for today’s commercial system.-1 Timothy 6:10.

Audie

Veteran Member

Its a simple statement of the
obvious and well known.

Orbit

I'm a planet

I think the author is stating the obvious about how human societies work. Most of the Bible is not very positive when speaking about the rich, especially if you look at the things Jesus says in the New Testament, like "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven", he's just continuing the OT wisdom tradition.