• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests Stopping People From Getting Vaccinated

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I was once injured by safety goggles.

Really: the strap hanging down got caught on the spinning shaft of the drill I was using. This rapidly pulled the drill straight at my face. The body of the drill smashed my goggles and the wire brush I had been using took a gouge out of my cheek.

From this anecdote, we can realize that safety goggles don't actually work, and they make things less safe.

After all, my sample size of one is only one off your sample size of two.

Don't try to convince me with "internet stats;" my mind's made up.
Then don't wear safety goggles. Freedom of choice.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Something that isn't an anecdote, for starters.

You know what will mislead you? Relying on anecdotes.
You don't see how incredibly stupid is to tell people the evidence of their senses is false?
When I pull onto the interstate and I see a semi coming in my lane, I tend to wait. But, all I have is the evidence of my senses. It's just anecdotal evidence. I don't even take time to check with the authorities if it's legal to pull out into the lane in front of the 75 miles per hour truck, I just trust my senses. How foolish. I really need to stop doing that. Thank you so much for the advice.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That would be foolish, so I won't be doing that.

My one personal experience doesn't necessarily reflect the overall trend. It doesn't even necessarily reflect my personal risk going forward.

Maybe reflect on that a bit.
I have more than one. But it would not matter if I had a thousand you would still dismiss them, because you want to.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have more than one.
You said you have two anecdotes.

You'd need at least 3 to even calculate a standard deviation. Your sample is so unrepresentative that it's not even possible to calculate how unrepresentative it is.

But it would not matter if I had a thousand you would still dismiss them, because you want to.
I'll accept any valid data. This is why I'm fully vaccinated.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You said you have two anecdotes.

You'd need at least 3 to even calculate a standard deviation. Your sample is so unrepresentative that it's not even possible to calculate how unrepresentative it is.

I'll accept any valid data. This is why I'm fully vaccinated.
Who said I had only three? I know people who are dying of covid. I know people who had it unvaccinated and it was mild. I know people who had tougher cases.
The only ones that are die that I know had other health issues.
My brother (unvaccinated ) had it. Mild case even though he smokes and is over 60
Two of my kids had it, one of them twice, no bad symptoms. This was before they were vaccinated.
Two inlaws had a tough week but got better. ( Unvaccinated) .. they got the infusion thing.
My wife got if after being vaccinated, and I guess you would call it a mild case, although lots of energy loss and sense of smell and taste gone.
Of course I know of others I'm just mentioning the ones that are family.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You don't see how incredibly stupid is to tell people the evidence of their senses is false?
When I pull onto the interstate and I see a semi coming in my lane, I tend to wait. But, all I have is the evidence of my senses. It's just anecdotal evidence. I don't even take time to check with the authorities if it's legal to pull out into the lane in front of the 75 miles per hour truck, I just trust my senses. How foolish. I really need to stop doing that. Thank you so much for the advice.
Anecdotes aren't evidence just because you want them to be.

People unintentionally create false explanations for things all the time. We have the scientific method for a reason.

Comparing your COVID example to the above is apples and oranges.