• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protestants / Baptists only: Do you use a literal translation?

What type of bible do you use?

• Literal version after Westcott and Hort revisions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

angellous_evangellous

I generally use the NLT, as I find it the easiest to read. However, I always keep in mind that it is closer to paraphrasing than literal translation, so I usually search for multiple translations for a verse that I'm iffy about. I have a CEV as well, but rarely use it.

I would also like to express my distaste for the NIV. Mostly because the way that the writing flows has confused me on more than one occasion. For example;

Matthew 5:13 ; You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

I had no idea what it meant by salt not being salty. It's salt, what else could it be? But then when I saw the NLT version;

Matthew 5:13 ; You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.

That makes a lot more sense to me.

Try balancing that interpretation with Mark 9.

Mark 9:47-50 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, 48 'where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.' 49 For everyone will be salted with fire. 50 Salt is good, but if the salt has lost its saltiness, how will you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It depends on the purpose, but generally I use the NRSV. I also like the Scholar's Version of the NT.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
Update: My new favorite study bible is the ESV Study Bible. It was already my favorite translation, and this new edition has the most complete and fair study notes I've seen, and also the most and best maps I've ever seen in a study bible. I also like the single-column layout. The downside of being so complete is that it's thick and heavy. There is some Reformed and Evangelical bias, but it doesn't bother me. To a degree, I share those leanings, and where I don't, it's easy enough to allow for.