• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proselytizing and Grooming

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
How are you defining "grooming"? Right now I am leaning "yes".
Conditioning you to believe you need something that you can't attain on your own. they are going to help you understand what it is and help you find it. won't cost you anything except your time, maybe a little money, and belief. they might even give you a nickname, "Pet".

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
this is off topic. the thread is speaking of proselytizing in respect to religion.

similar to jesus calling the pharisees hypocrites because they wouldn't allow other to enter in heaven because they were blocking the way.

languages change, names change, but the actions are similar across the ages

matthew 23:15

Ohhhh... it didn't specify.

But, yes, but I wouldn't call it proselytizing in the sense that most people give it.

Convincing through dialogue and interaction (as with any point or area of life). As Jesus said to his disciples, "Now you are clean through my words" - they were groomed to a different behavior as well as capacity.

He opened up possibility thinking.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ohhhh... it didn't specify.

But, yes, but I wouldn't call it proselytizing in the sense that most people give it.

Convincing through dialogue and interaction (as with any point or area of life). As Jesus said to his disciples, "Now you are clean through my words" - they were groomed to a different behavior as well as capacity.

He opened up possibility thinking.
when a person knows what they want and it's age appropriate, there is nothing wrong with mentoring to help them gain that goal.

but the person should already be somewhat aware of what they are interested in and not hard sold on it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
could proselytizing be a type of grooming behavior?
Not absolutely always, but often yes.

Probably more often than not, IMO.

Edit: I'd say that proselytizing is predatory generally. I'm still wrapping my head around whether it's generally predatory in a way I'd consider "grooming."

MikeF

Premium Member
Might mandatory pledge of allegiance and positively spun US History in elementary school be considered proselytizing and/or grooming under definitions proffered in this thread?

ETA: Or similar in other countries.