• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pronunciation.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
As far as I know, yes. You should be asking about English words, though, those you should know. :D

Try some Bosnian words on for size...

Djamila, for example = Jaw-me-lah

Bascarsija (Old Market) = Bash-Char-She-Yah

Bosna (Bosnia) = Boss-nyah (No Z you Ango butchers!)

Sarajevo = Sa-rye-yay-vo

:D

Linus

Djamila said:
My mouth hurts after trying to say that. I can Americanize it and say it pretty well, but with the rolled "r" (as I am assuming it is pronounced) it makes that much more difficult for my american mouth to say.

As far as Jainism goes, I would say that yes, you pronounce it quite correctly.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
And you think you guys have accents in different regions of North America?

Pfft...come to Bosnia, my darlings. Take a listen to these two clips. They're both of the same song from different regions, by different singers.

The song is Cajorije Sukadije (Beautiful Lady):

http://media.putfile.com/Cajorije-Sukadije-20

EDIT: I accidentally put the first version twice, but the second is still there. lol

c0da

Is the latin alphabet used in places like Bosnia and Serbia? Are there special characters used as well? Some of the sounds used sound so different:confused:

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Latin is used in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro. Cyrillic is used in Serbia and Macedonia.

And yes, there are special characters. This a sample for you, with the Bosnian alphabet on top and the Serbian alphabet in the middle. I have no idea what the alphabet in brackets is, probably a pronunciation key.

1bu0.gif

You can see there are many English letters which do not exist in Bosnian (Q, X, etc.) and many Bosnian letters than do not exist in English.

c0da

Thats very interesting, thanks.

Which alphabet is predominantly used in Serbia and Montenegro and by the government? I can imagine it might get quite frustrating to have two different alphabets in the one country?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
The government in Serbia probably uses both Cyrillic and Latin, with Cyrillic being dominant. The Serbian population is certainly fluent in both. Moderates will be indifferent and nationalists will prefer Cyrillic since it is immediately synonymous with Serbian.

In Bosnia, Orthodox Christians generally use Cyrillic everywhere the government hasn't forced them to use Latin. Most Bosnians of a certain age can read both, those my age and younger would struggle to read Cyrillic if they are Muslim or Roman Catholic. It was purged from our... everything... after the war. Again, because it is immediately synonymous with Serbian.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
gracie said:
phonetically though, it may be closer to jine-izm (rhymes with shine). no? maybe?

Yes. From what I understand from Indian friends Jain sounds more like line than lane.

While we're on interesting pronunciations. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how to pronounce oaie (Romanian for sheep)?

James

Doktormartini

小虎
Djamila said:
As far as I know, yes. You should be asking about English words, though, those you should know. :D

Try some Bosnian words on for size...

Djamila, for example = Jaw-me-lah

Bosna (Bosnia) = Boss-nyah (No Z you Ango butchers!)

Sarajevo = Sa-rye-yay-vo

:D
This is kinda old to bring up, but I can pronounce all those words and I'm American. That's probably because languages is one of my hobbies (which is odd since I can't fully speak another language besides English).