• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems of Modernity and Gnosticism?

ELoWolfe

Our culture and world is not the same one as that the Gnostics had. Despite Gnosticism addressing many problems we still experience today, and our view that Gnosticism best represents the truth as we understand it, issues today seem to be troublesome if we were to take serious the thoughts of ancient Gnostics. I address some of them below:

Anti-Semitism: Lets get to the bones on this one; Gnosticism is anti-Semitic. It has to be. The truth we realize says that the Hebrew/Israeli god is false, possibly evil, and we shouldn't worship him. But we're not advocating killing Jews or anything. This act of our truth, that the world is evil and created from an evil (or misguided) god, runs contrary to Judaism and as such, is anti-Semitic. This is a serious allegation, and a dangerous position to have, evident from the numerous crusades and the Holocaust. Yet if we are faithful to the truth we have, we can't have any position but this one.

Misogyny: This is a particularly weird one. In practice, Gnosticism isn't misogynistic, but the language used is very misogynistic. "For every woman who has become male will enter the Kingdom of heaven." (Thomas, 114.) We know this is allegorical language, not to be taken literally, but that is because we studied and understood the text. Others may not be able to (or chose to) do so.

Homophobic: This one is more subtle, but the language used within Gnosticism reflects the lack of understanding of homosexuality as we understand it now. Unification is often about unifying the "woman and the man," or of marriage between the two. But this, I feel, is similar to the charge of misogyny. We understand the allegorical language, but other may not.

What is ironic is that these issues are also the problem of Christianity as it is expressed now. But the two views are either to take it literal or to ignore it depending on how conservative or liberal you are. The conservatives will ignore the anti-Semitism (mostly), maintain but not speak about the misogyny, and advocate for homophobia. Meanwhile, liberals have ignored all-three in an effort to be inclusive and move beyond the views of the ancients regarding the political matters.

What is a Gnostic to do though? Misogyny and homophobia are not a real concern because we know that they're not literal. All our reading is above the literal interpretations (although I am sure some of what is said, probably more so with homophobia, is more likely to be taken as literal). That doesn't mean it is still healthy to have, though. Anti-Semitism may seem silly, but it is serious and fundamental to our worldview. We can try to take a more neutral approach (advocating that the YHWH demiurge is not evil, per se), but we do not say that they're the same deity.

frangipani

Premium Member
Anti-Semitism: I don't believe Gnostics are anti-Semitic, certainly we would all agree that the Jewish God is the demiurge, but like any other people (Gentile) a Jewish person has the same opportunity to seek Christ and find Truth. We do not judge them, nor do we apply a blanket opinion of them because of their heritage. We meet and respect each person as an individual and that is no different to how we meet and respect anyone else. Out of all the people we know from any heritage or culture Jewish people are treated with the same respect as them. Not everyone finds the truth, and that is sad, but we do not judge, we lead quietly by example and hope those seeking will see something sincere in us more than the animal and then want to look deeper into themselves to find even more than we have.
Misogyny: On this subject as you have stated it is referring to the mindset rather than the physical being. But still and all these sayings and the understanding of them is for those to whom they were given, that is those who comprehend. "Let him who has ears to hear, understand.
Homophobic: I don't believe Gnostics are homophobic. When scripture speak about the unification of man and woman, they are speaking of the unification of the positive and negative, meaning the Spirit and Soul. As for people who are homosexually inclined, they like heterosexuals have to deal with lust and fleshy desire. Again lust in whatever form is an earthly burden and each of us must deal with in our own way. It is the marriage of Spirit and Soul that matters and we Gnostics are not judges, but again meet everyone on an even playing field. At the end of the day what we have become Spiritually is what decides whether or not we attain salvation, stand or fall.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I don't think any of this is that big a deal. There are literally thousands of gods I reject as objects of worship. That does make me hate the people that do worship them. I also don't think that the demiurge = the Jewish deity. It's just that the Jewish religion claims its deity is the creator of this universe. I think charges of antisemitism and misogyny are tactics employed by those who consider us heretics and can be dismissed as such. Accusations that can easily be thrown right back in their face. I don't see any homophobia in gnostic thought and most gnostics today seem more open minded about such things.

" What is a Gnostic to do though?"

Well the first fully Gnostic proof is now on the web and to quote a review of the material: "If confirmed and there appears to be a growing concerted effort to test and authenticate this teaching, this will represent a paradigm change in the nature of faith, while advancing the moral and ethical potential of human nature itself; untangling the greatest questions of existence: consciousness, identity, purpose, suffering, evil, sustainability and free will. While simultaneously addressing the most profound problems of our age."

Not a bad place to begin. The Final Freedoms

Our culture and world is not the same one as that the Gnostics had. Despite Gnosticism addressing many problems we still experience today, and our view that Gnosticism best represents the truth as we understand it, issues today seem to be troublesome if we were to take serious the thoughts of ancient Gnostics. I address some of them below:

Anti-Semitism: Lets get to the bones on this one; Gnosticism is anti-Semitic. It has to be. The truth we realize says that the Hebrew/Israeli god is false, possibly evil, and we shouldn't worship him. But we're not advocating killing Jews or anything. This act of our truth, that the world is evil and created from an evil (or misguided) god, runs contrary to Judaism and as such, is anti-Semitic. This is a serious allegation, and a dangerous position to have, evident from the numerous crusades and the Holocaust. Yet if we are faithful to the truth we have, we can't have any position but this one.

Misogyny: This is a particularly weird one. In practice, Gnosticism isn't misogynistic, but the language used is very misogynistic. "For every woman who has become male will enter the Kingdom of heaven." (Thomas, 114.) We know this is allegorical language, not to be taken literally, but that is because we studied and understood the text. Others may not be able to (or chose to) do so.

Homophobic: This one is more subtle, but the language used within Gnosticism reflects the lack of understanding of homosexuality as we understand it now. Unification is often about unifying the "woman and the man," or of marriage between the two. But this, I feel, is similar to the charge of misogyny. We understand the allegorical language, but other may not.

What is ironic is that these issues are also the problem of Christianity as it is expressed now. But the two views are either to take it literal or to ignore it depending on how conservative or liberal you are. The conservatives will ignore the anti-Semitism (mostly), maintain but not speak about the misogyny, and advocate for homophobia. Meanwhile, liberals have ignored all-three in an effort to be inclusive and move beyond the views of the ancients regarding the political matters.

What is a Gnostic to do though? Misogyny and homophobia are not a real concern because we know that they're not literal. All our reading is above the literal interpretations (although I am sure some of what is said, probably more so with homophobia, is more likely to be taken as literal). That doesn't mean it is still healthy to have, though. Anti-Semitism may seem silly, but it is serious and fundamental to our worldview. We can try to take a more neutral approach (advocating that the YHWH demiurge is not evil, per se), but we do not say that they're the same deity.
What is a Gnostic to do though?