• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-Ana

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
"Anorexics are believed to be able to spot other anorexics at first glance."
I'm sure this'll come as a shock to them, but so can anyone with eyes and half a brain. :rolleyes:

I cannot see how promoting anorexia does anyone any good.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unedited said:
What do you think, is Pro-Anorexia helpful, or harmful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-ana

I've been debating this with myself for awhile, so I'd like to hear some new perspectives.
Part Quote "Pro-ana is a largely Web-based movement which views the disease anorexia nervosa in a positive light, considering it a "lifestyle choice" rather than a disorder. There are a growing number of pro-ana websites and discussion groups where self-identified anorectics come together to reinforce their beliefs and behaviours, creating a positive feedback loop."
I could never find it in myself to reccommend a site that describes Anorexia as a 'Lifestyle choice'.

Having known anorexics, I think I can consider myself as being reasonably well qualified to discuss the side effects.

The act of regurgitation causes stomach acid to come into contact with the oesophagus, and the teeth - neither of which have the same protection as the stomach. Stomach acid is very strong - to break down food.

The acid reflux can cause stripping of the wall of the oesophagus, causing ulceration, whilst also disolving the enamel from teeth, making them much more prone to decay.

In it's later stages, anorexia can even cause certain organs to begin to 'shut down'. For women, it causes acessation of the menstrual cycle.

All in all, I do not see Pro-ana as being 'good' - unless they are actually drawing sufferers to help them overcome some of the worst side effects, as they seem to claim to do. I would be very wary.:)

Unedited

I’m still very divided on this matter, but I’ll post some of the reasons while I think Pro-Ana sites can be helpful.

I think the “ideal” of Pro-Ana, not what some use it as, is great. They offer helpful tips on how to be safer. They often encourage one not to “purge,” listing all the harmful things it does to your body. At the same time, they realise that people don’t really choose to purge, so they offer up the safest way to do that, or rather, tell you what not to do.

Most anorexics, at least those I know, don’t really like being anorexic, but they just aren’t ready to get better yet. I think a lot of problems lie in the fact that doctors tend to look at the physical part of anorexia (they just try to get them to eat) when the should be looking more at the mental part, preferably before things get bad enough that they need to be hospitalized, which brings up another problem. To actually be an anorexic, you have to make a weight requirement. How cruel is that? “I’m sorry Sally, I know you haven’t eaten in two weeks straight, and you’ve kept your diet under 500k calories a day for a almost a year now, except, of course, for all those times you binged, but you’re just too fat. Maybe if you lose a little more weight I can treat you?”

On the other hand, there are sites out there that basically teach you how to be an anorexic. They try to present it as a way to dieting, like you can just acquire a mental illness to lose those last few pounds. A site can’t make a person anorexic, but these sites can be harmful to someone who already is.

A little random, but I’m still trying to figure this out for myself.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
There is another point to this, which I omitted to mention. Anorexia in young females is to some extent a demand thrust upon the media, in that models are always shown as being super thin. Young girls find models as being role models of fashion, and try to emulate them.:)

rivenrock

Unedited said:
I’m still very divided on this matter...I think Pro-Ana sites can be helpful...Most anorexics, at least those I know, don’t really like being anorexic, but they just aren’t ready to get better yet.
Do you think they are ever going to become ready if they are actively encouraged to think of their disorder as a 'lifestyle choice'? Would you tell an alcoholic that? No-one in denial benefits from having someone else reinforce their justifications. The whole pro-ana site is geared towards helping each other stay in denial over their disorder.

You say that most of the anorexics you know 'just aren't ready to get better yet'. Do you understand what that really means? This isn't merely a case of wanting to be thin a little longer. Anorexics who don't get better die. They are gradually starving themselves to death. Pro-ana sites are like assisted suicide - they are helping each other die; actively supporting each other in learning how to starve to death, and hide it well enough that no-one will be able to stop you in time. They aren't giving each other real support; they are encouraging others to kill themselves so they will feel better about their own suicide. Is that the kind of "support" you want your friends to have?

Anorexics need support. But they don't need it from people who will see them eating nothing as the ultimate success. They are the equivalent of a bar where alcoholics meet to pat each other on the back and say, "you don't have a problem, mate...here, let me buy you another whiskey. Oh and here's a breath mint so your wife won't know."

There is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING positive to be gained from pro-ana sites.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
rivenrock said:
Do you think they are ever going to become ready if they are actively encouraged to think of their disorder as a 'lifestyle choice'? Would you tell an alcoholic that? No-one in denial benefits from having someone else reinforce their justifications. The whole pro-ana site is geared towards helping each other stay in denial over their disorder.

You say that most of the anorexics you know 'just aren't ready to get better yet'. Do you understand what that really means? This isn't merely a case of wanting to be thin a little longer. Anorexics who don't get better die. They are gradually starving themselves to death. Pro-ana sites are like assisted suicide - they are helping each other die; actively supporting each other in learning how to starve to death, and hide it well enough that no-one will be able to stop you in time. They aren't giving each other real support; they are encouraging others to kill themselves so they will feel better about their own suicide. Is that the kind of "support" you want your friends to have?

Anorexics need support. But they don't need it from people who will see them eating nothing as the ultimate success. They are the equivalent of a bar where alcoholics meet to pat each other on the back and say, "you don't have a problem, mate...here, let me buy you another whiskey. Oh and here's a breath mint so your wife won't know."

There is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING positive to be gained from pro-ana sites.
Hi rivenrock, Namaste.

Good reply, and it echoes my sentiments exactly. I notice that this is your first post, and wanted to welcome you to the forum. Enjoy !:)