• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presentation on Civilization Collapse of 1200th Cent BCE

Brickjectivity

Yummy Bricks
Staff member
Premium Member
This was very interesting. I'm no History buff, but I thought it was very good and condensed History about the period from 1700-1200 BCE which ended with a multi-nation civilization system collapse in which the arts and writing were lost and governments vanished from just about every country in their known world with the exception of Egypt! The collapse occurred over a period of a century but began in 12th.

The author makes an argument that the currently accepted reason for the system collapse is invasion by sea people but that this is too simplistic an answer. He proposes using updated data and relics that actually the area around the Mediterranean was afflicted with multiple problems: earthquakes, famines, drought, rebellions, climate change. He allows that it is not currently known, specifically, how everything has happened; so his argument is: reject the current simplistic answer that invasion by sea people is by itself the cause. Along the way he introduces us to the basics of this period, which nations are involved, how it relates to us today.

The bulk of the presentation which is very good goes from 0 to minute 50. At minute 35 he puts up a map of all of the cities that were destroyed after 1200BCE, so many. He presents tablets and noted by people talking about how they are dying, and discusses disruptions in trade. Then at minute 50 to about 55 he presents his summary conclusions and then answers questions. Watch it.

***apologies for my typos leaving the zeroes off of the 12 and 17. Its 1700-1200 BCE not 17-12 BCE.***

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Thank you. This was quite interesting. It fills in the some of the huge gaps in my own opinion about history. I don't claim to be anyone but an amateur Sci Fi writer. But in stories I have been writing, I surmise, as the speaker said, that we are starting another collapse of civilization. I wonder if WWI and WWII are part of the start of that process? However, I don't know a lot about European history before then. Of course there was Napoleon, and I think there were many wars over there before that. There was of course, the murderings of the Catholic Church and the invasions by the Muslims... It is all rather sickening.

I was once told by a Muslim woman that the troubles in Syria started with a drought and when the people asked Assad for help, he started killing them. Hmmm. Around 2006 I was given a piece of artwork that depicted a woman clad in black Abaya and Niqab and behind her was a Haboob (Sand Storm) bearing down on a Village. The caption is "There is a storm coming". This was before the real start of Arab Spring. Of course, I am convinced that the west has done everything it could to hasten the fall of the Middle East simply because they want the Oil. I agree with the speaker that what we are witnessing is a sort of repeat of past history.

Out of selfish self interest, I am hoping that I am gone before the collapse again gets seriously underway. Like Hawkings advocated, I do not feel optimistic that humanity will achieve real space travel before all that.