• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preparations for MahaShivaratri

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Hara Hara Mahadeva!

Mahashivaratri is upon us and I haven't seen any posts. What will those who observe this festival be doing? I have just come down with some sort of lurgy so I'm worried I might not be able to attend. My regular temple no longer allows devotees to attend and perform worship for the entire night, instead closing at midnight. I am considering going to one of the Murugan temples nearby but if I am not feeling up to it, I will try to observe at home.

I pray this most sacred of nights brings blessings to us all.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not much, though my people (Kashmiri brahmins) are mainly termed as Shaivas. This is because of the intrusion of Vaishnavism (and abandonment of meat in rituals), otherwise meat was offered to and partaken on Shivaratri. Those who have been ethnically cleansed from Kashmir valley in recent years celebrate it in the old ways.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Festivals don't usually go well for me, being alone (culturally) in celebrating them. If I don't have the epidural injection for my back I will probably go to temple after work for an abhishekam, not much more than that. I try to fast, but I'm usually not able to keep them, nor would I be able to stay through the night. :disappointed: So, I may just chant some prayers to Lord Shiva. *sigh* :shrug:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Lord also has to go to Mother Parvati. She would not sleep till the Lord is comfortably ensconced in his bed. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm in Hawaii.

Who in Canada or the US goes to Hawaii in February! Why, that's the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of. And I've heard some pretty unheard of things! :D

Enjoy your stay. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Who in Canada or the US goes to Hawaii in February! Why, that's the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of. And I've heard some pretty unheard of things! :D

Enjoy your stay. :)

Hawaii lost out years back to cheap Mexican, Cuban, and Dominican Republic all inclusives. It hit the industry here pretty bad. Course, as you know, I'm no tourist. Been going to 2 pujas a day, sometimes 3.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I prepared the poster for my local mandir's Mahashivratri celebration. I'll likely go to mandir and do abhishekam but I won't stay all night. Shivratri is a very nice contemplative time.

carmenara

My favorite Shiva / Durga temple along with a very small temple in Little India both have Maha Shivaratri events. I'll be attending either. Big Durga temple will be open 24/7 for 2 nights.

carmenara

Hara Hara Mahadeva!

Mahashivaratri is upon us and I haven't seen any posts. What will those who observe this festival be doing? I have just come down with some sort of lurgy so I'm worried I might not be able to attend. My regular temple no longer allows devotees to attend and perform worship for the entire night, instead closing at midnight. I am considering going to one of the Murugan temples nearby but if I am not feeling up to it, I will try to observe at home.

I will be going to the temple at night tomorrow.

upload_2018-2-12_11-13-54.png

It will be my first night out at a temple and I'm not sure if I'll have anywhere to rest. Or will I survive until the next morning and head back to work looking like some incarnate of a goddess of destruction (thats what happens when I don't sleep...)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hara Hara Mahadeva!

I am visiting North Bengal during that time. There is a famous medieval Siva temple there. If I have the opportunity, I will visit and share pics here.:)

Sharmaji

I have to study so I’m unable to attend any gathering I won’t even have time to prepare mithai or other festive food. If anybody could recommend me what I could do instead let me know.

carmenara

I have to study so I’m unable to attend any gathering I won’t even have time to prepare mithai or other festive food. If anybody could recommend me what I could do instead let me know.

Listen to Shiva mantras / bhajans on YouTube, fast, chant Om Namah Shivayae. Little things to get your spiritual side happy.

This was a suggestion from someone I discussed the festival with, in the event either of us couldn't attend temple.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Remember your deities for five minutes and jump into life with full vigor.

carmenara

Those of you who are at the computer at the moment, see the all-night Isha Foundation Shivaratri program here:
Mahashivratri 2018 Live Streaming | Free Online | Isha Yoga Center

That's what I felt after the day and night of devotion, although I was busy trying to slay great evil in the workplace as usual... it seemed all the trouble soon dissolved right after that night of devotion.

This sequence of events is becoming very memorable and special to me!