• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prejudice, Scandal, Nude Photos, & a Beauty Queen

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Dzejla Glavovic, a Muslim from Bosnia and Herzegovina, is the only Bosnian to have ever won an international beauty pageant - Miss Earth 2002.

But it was anything but a fairytale, and everything but Bosnia and Herzegovina's moment to shine.

It was clear the evening of the Miss World 2002 pageant that all was not going to be well in paradise. The other contestants walked off the stage in disgust and disbelief when Dzejla Glavovic was announced the winner.

Within a few months of being crowned, Dzejla Glavovic became the first Miss World in history to be dethroned. The organization tried to save face by saying simply that Dzejla Glavovic did not honor her duties as Miss World, but it was soon revealed in the media that she was dethroned because of her refusal to visit any predominantly Orthodox Christian country and for physically assaulting a hotel front desk clerk.

34rta1i.jpg
2cn9wkg.jpg

Here's a little look back at what was one of the most exciting periods of my life - hahaha. :D An interview from the media, just before she was dethroned:

Virtually all heads in the lobby turned to the welcoming door of the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel the night before Sinulog, when the stunning, statuesque beauty from Bosnia and Herzegovina entered like everyone’s dream come true.

She had been out for a photo shoot. Back at the hotel, where I’d sat with her earlier to arrange for this interview, she was met by a group of the hotel’s drummers with the Sinulog beat to show our Cebuano hospitality.

I stood up from the sofa and before I could flex to approach her, she recognized me by smiling at me and walking towards my direction, past the awestruck eyes scrutinizing her persona from head to foot. We kissed each other and in a jiffy, we found ourselves settled in an elegant restaurant far from the festive lobby of that famous hotel.

She was Dzejla Glavovic, Miss Earth 2002, and for three days she was again in Cebu. She had been here last October when the Long Gown competition of Miss Earth beauty pageant was held at the Grand Ballroom of Waterfront Cebu City Hotel. She said she likes Cebu and she calls it her “favorite of all the cities in the Philippines.”

Q: What are the changes in your personal life after becoming Miss Earth 2002?
A: Let me just say that many people have claimed to be my friends. Those who didn’t like me before seem to be very nice with me now. But I can tell who they are and I know who my real friends are. And I’m also wondering why everybody seems to have some kind of contact with me, like they tell me: ‘Oh, you remember me?”

Q:What do you think was your edge over the other delegates?
Q: Honestly, I don’t know and I didn’t expect to win, though I prayed a lot. But I think my being a model helped greatly because I already have enough experience in walking and in projecting. And if the judges during the pre-judging had noticed, it could’ve been that they saw in me the sincerity of a woman who wants to work for a cause in the preservation of Mother Nature. After all, that’s what Miss Earth is all about.

Q: Compare beauty pageants to modelling.
A: There’s quite an obvious difference. For example, in a beauty pageant, you have to keep on smiling because it is yourself that you’re selling and by smiling you bring out the beauty in you. Whereas in a fashion show, it is the dress that you’re displaying and not yourself, so you have to project in a certain way that complements with your dress. But most of the time in modelling you don’t really smile. If you watch FTV, you don’t see a model smiling, maybe sometimes. During my photo shoot awhile ago, the photographer would tell me: ‘Okay, be a model on this picture, so be sexy and serious.’ And then for another photo, he would tell me: ‘Be a beauty queen now, so smile.’ In the pageant, I sort of had a hard time because I’m used to modelling and I tend to forget to smile a lot. They would always tell me to smile more because I looked too serious to become a beauty queen.

Q: How did you find the Filipino makeup artists of the pageant?
A: I think they’re good. But I did my own makeup during the pageant as I’m quite a good makeup artist myself.

Q: That’s kind of rare here in the Philippines that a beauty contestant does her own makeup. Can you give me some tips?
A: My personal tip is that if I put something dark on the eyes, I go light with my lips. And vice versa. That’s what we call balance.

Q: What was the first thing that you did upon arriving in your country from winning the pageant here in the Philippines last November?
A: When I arrived in Bosnia, the first thing that I did was change into a gown and have my own makeup done because there was a big press conference awaiting. I was very surprised. Journalists from other countries had come for me.

Q: Is beauty pageant a big deal in your country like here in the Philippines?
A: Yes, I think people in my country are just like the Filipinos who love beauty queens.

Q: I understand that you’re a supermodel in Europe. May I know the history of your modelling stints?
A: I became Metropolitan Top Model in 1997, the year after the war was over in Bosnia. And then I went to Paris for three years, where I started working seriously as a model. I was, like, all over Europe modelling. Am currently based in Milan but I have to be away for one year after winning Miss Earth last November.

Q: How’s the environment in Bosnia?
A: We have a very good environment in Bosnia. In fact, we can drink water from the river. The surroundings are relatively green. As far as traffic jam is concerned, it happens only sometimes. We’ll know it through the radios that there’s traffic on that part of town so that we can turn the other side and avoid the traffic.

Q: So you were quite shocked to see it happening in virtually all the streets here in the Philippines?
A: I’m shocked that traffic is part of your life here. One time I was confused because as I was caught in the middle of the traffic on my way to the fashion show of Randy Ortiz, where I was one of the models, I called him to tell him of the traffic. And then I arrived late. I thought that he’s going to reprimand me or what, but he just said: ‘No, it’s okay. We understand. You didn’t need to call.’ I was shocked not getting reprimanded because in Milan, where I’m modelling, I would lose my job if I came late in the fashion show.

Q: Do you have your own car in Europe?
A: I have a car in Milan and in Sarajevo (Bosnia). And I have a service car in New Manila, Quezon City, where I’m staying in an apartment.

Q: What is your definition of beauty?
A: Beauty is subjective, relative, and it is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone can be beautiful. This or that girl can be pretty for me, but for you she’s not. On a deeper understanding, beauty is within. There are some people who are not physically attractive, but because of their good personality, I find them beautiful.

Q: Do you have brothers and sisters?
A: I have a brother and a sister who are both older than I am. My sister is already married. She used to be Miss Sarajevo and then Miss Bosnia & Herzegovina, which title brought her to Yugoslavia (that was when we—Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia and Slavia—were one country). So, as Miss Yugoslavia, she had to compete for Miss World. But my sister resigned after having realized that she didn’t want to be a beauty queen and wanted to focus on modelling. Anyway, she didn’t regret it because she’s a very successful model now.

Q: Have you modelled outside of Europe, like in New York which is also a fashion capital?
A: Let me tell you this: after about two months since I arrived in Milan, my pictures were sent to New York. So I went back to my hometown, Sarajevo, Bosnia, to process my papers for New York. But, sad to say, I was denied visa, telling me I was too young at 15 years old, for work abroad. That made me very disappointed as I had already prepared myself for that big break—physically, mentally and emotionally. Since then I didn’t try again.

Q: What is the biggest misconception of you?
A: It makes me feel sad sometimes because people mistake me for being arrogant because of the way I look. You know, being a European, I have sharp features. And it’s so unfair. I’d like to think of myself as a very warm and friendly person.

Q: But are Bosnians, or Europeans in general, really warm and friendly?
A: Yes, We are as warm and as friendly as every warm person anywhere in the world. If we seem aloof, that doesn’t mean that we are inside. It’s just a matter of cultural differences. If we respect Filipinos for being outwardly warm and friendly, then we hope that Filipinos will also respect the warmth and friendliness within us. I’d also like to think that sincerity is relative. Everyone of us can be warm, friendly and sincere in our own way.​