• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Precursor to Red Cross in Sikh History

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Due to the message of equality and rejection of state sponsored atrocities being preached by the Gurus, they were often the target of attacks by the neighbouring kingdoms and the Moghul emperors. The Sikhs defended themselves in many such battles.

4329d1293076438-the-universal-christmas-spirit-bhai-kanhaiya.jpg

In the battle of Anandpur (1705), the tenth Guru deputed his most devoted Sikh, named Kanhaiya, to serve water to the injured soldiers from both sides, irrespective of their religion, caste or creed. Accordingly, he used to serve water not only to the Sikh soldiers, but also to the injured Mughal soldiers. After getting water, they used to gain strength to fight against the Sikh soldiers, which was not relished by the latter. Sikh soldiers complained to the Guru that Bhai Kanhaiya was a traitor, as he was serving water to the injured soldiers of the enemy.

Guru Gobind Singh, with a divine smile, summoned Bhai Kanhaiya to seek his explanation. The Sikh soldiers dragged Bhai Kanhaiya to the court of Guru Gobind Singh and raised many objections and made allegations against him for this act of treason. Guru Gobind Singh asked Bhai Kanhaiya as to why he was serving water to the injured soldiers of the enemy. With tears in his eyes, Bhai Kanhaiya humbly submitted with folded hands, “O Divine Master, I have not served water to the enemy.” On this, the Sikh soldiers reiterated that Kanhaiya was telling a lie. He served water to the injured soldiers of the enemy in our presence.

The Guru again asked Bhai Kanhaiya with a divine smile, “To whom were you serving water?” Bhai Kanhaiya again humbly submitted, “I serve water to you and not to any foe, because I perceive your divine light in every one, irrespective of friend or foe. I learned this divine lesson from you, my master, which is imbued in my heart to see all-inone and one-in-all. That is why I serve all, irrespective of their belief and faith, being the children of one Divine Father”: All humans form a common fellowship. O Lord! You are alien to no one (97, Guru Granth Sahib)

On hearing this, Guru Gobind Singh embraced Bhai Kanhaiya with love and affection and told everybody, “He is my real follower, i.e., a true Sikh, treading the Divine Path to become a Gurmukh.” The Guru blessed him with a first-aid box containing ointment and told him not only to give water to the inured but also treat their injuries in the battlefield without any discrimination.

This is a unique example in the world, where friends and foes are treated alike. In fact, Bhai Kanhaiya laid the foundation of the so-called Divine Red Cross.

The present day Red Cross, which Sir Henry Durant founded about 160 years later, works as a neutral third party, whenever there is a conflict between the two nations, whereas the philosophy of Guru Nanak Dev Ji as propounded through the services of Bhai Kanhaiya, is unique in that, it serves the enemy also in the battlefield.