• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayers thanking Animals for their Lives

Me Myself

Back to my username
I do understand and agree with all of what you have written. My confusion lies more with the idea behind some of he prayers people give, which is to thank an animal for giving their life, as if the animal offered themselves to us, which is clearly not the case.

Then way I personally see it is that there is a level in which each life form chooses what it wants for itself. It is to this level to which I thank the eagle of the feather that an "uncle" gave to me that is related to his spirituality.

The feather is for purification rituals and each time I use it, i thank the eagle and pray as honestly and focused as I can for it's experiences to be good wherever it has gone.

outhouse

Atheistically
I've come across a few religions that make prayers after hunting or before eating meat that are wording something like: 'thank you for giving your life so that I can eat'.

This has never seemed quite right to me. These animals aren't giving you their life, you are taking it. I'm pretty sure the animal wouldn't appreciate the prayer and would much prefer to have their life back.

It seems more appropriate to send a prayer with an apology. Like: 'Sorry I killed you, but I was hungry.' And then maybe a prayer for their soul.

What do you think?

Call me insensitive, but I am a meat eater and have no remorse for my meal.

In a natural setting its me or them, and I choose me.

Since I am not really spiritual, I find no need for a prayer.

I dont believe in souls of any kind.

The most important thing one can do is try and minimize the animals suffering before lightly sprinkleing with salt and cooking medium rare.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In a natural setting its me or them, and I choose me.

I will assume by natural you mean 40 000 years ago next to a cave, but I wonder why would such an environment be important to you now.

The most important thing one can do is try and minimize the animals suffering before lightly sprinkleing with salt and cooking medium rare.

How do you cook lobster?

Why is that the most important thing one can do? Why is that more "important" than outright not eating them now that our survival doesn't even depend on it?