• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prashna Upanishad an error?

John80

Hello,

I was reading the Prashna Upanishad, something caught my attention

4:2 "O Gargya, just as all the rays of the setting sun become unified in this orb of light, and they disperse from the sun as it rises up again similarly all that becomes unified in the mind" (Prasna upanishad 4:2)

Today we know that, because sun doesn't set therefore rays of the sun doesn't become unified in it, the sun stays still, it is the earth that moves around it. The verse says rays of the sun become unified in the sun when it sets, and when the sun rises they disperse from the sun again. Does that suggest Rishis believed literal setting and rising of the sun?

I`d like to hear your thoughts on this.

Shuddhasattva

This does not refer to the sun's objective reality, but how the subjective consciousness interacts with objects.

There is the light, the spread of light, the culmination of light, and the clear light. (As framed in Vajrayana, directly borrowed from this concept.)

This relates to shristi, shtiti, samhara and that which is beyond.

Pleroma

philalethist
Does that suggest Rishis believed literal setting and rising of the sun?

The Rishis knew that the empirical world is an illusion, a creation of the mind.
Its important to know when they are talking metaphorically and when literally.

When they are talking about the Sun, the star in the milky way galaxy they are talking metaphorically. They very well know that the Sun, the star do not exist out there.

When they say the Sun is the soul of all creatures, all forms etc. They are not talking about the objective Sun, they are talking about the Sun God which is in everyone.

http://www.gayathrimanthra.com/contents/documents/Vedic-related/prasna_upanishad.pdf

That sun rises every day−the sun, which is the soul of all creatures, the soul of all forms, which is life and fire. This has been described by the following rik:

The wise know him who is in all forms, full of rays, all−knowing, non−dual, the support of all life, the eye of all beings, the giver of heat. There rises the sun, the thousand−rayed, existing in a hundred forms, the life of all creatures.

Only the wise know that the Sun God is in all forms, full of rays, all-knowing, non-dual, the support of all life, the eye of all beings, the gives of heat. The Sun God is verily the life of all creatures. This is the true wisdom of the Upanishads.

Wannabe Yogi

Hello,

I was reading the Prashna Upanishad, something caught my attention

4:2 "O Gargya, just as all the rays of the setting sun become unified in this orb of light, and they disperse from the sun as it rises up again similarly all that becomes unified in the mind" (Prasna upanishad 4:2)

Today we know that, because sun doesn't set therefore rays of the sun doesn't become unified in it, the sun stays still, it is the earth that moves around it. The verse says rays of the sun become unified in the sun when it sets, and when the sun rises they disperse from the sun again. Does that suggest Rishis believed literal setting and rising of the sun?

I`d like to hear your thoughts on this.

I think the sages of old understood the nature of life and how to live in the world. I don't know how much they knew about light rays. Light is just an analogy to the concept they were teaching about the mind. The part about the mind is what is important. I also find the teaching being given to a woman and its lack of sexism more of interest then what he believes about light.

Maya3

It was just a metaphor to explain that we join with God just as the sun rays seem to join the sun as it sets. (though, yes we all know that it is the earth that spins away from the sun for the night hours), and to explain that we reincarnate again and spread across the globe forgetting that we really are part of God, (or the Sun as the metaphor uses).

It doesn't have much to do with the Sun itself.

It doesn't matter if they knew what really happens or not.

Maya