• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Positive psychology site

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you are all okay!

Here's a little something I just found -

Do you accept yourself?

It might sound like an odd question; after all, what does it even mean to accept yourself? Don’t we all accept ourselves as a regular part of living our day-to-day lives?

As it turns out, self-acceptance is not an automatic or default state. Many of us have trouble accepting ourselves exactly as we are. It’s not so hard to accept the good parts of ourselves, but what about the rest? Surely we shouldn’t accept our flaws and failures?

In fact, that’s exactly what we should do! Read on to learn why we need to accept ourselves, the good and the bad, and to get some practical suggestions on how to do it.

Comes from this site -

What is Self-Acceptance? 25 Exercises + Definition and Quotes

Wishing you all the best and hope I posted this into the right pigeon-hole :)

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Perfect if also encouraging others to precepts and harmless conduct and not to glorify indulging into intoxications causing to forget shame and fear of wrong doing and unrestrained behaviour, which is one big danger of happiness without considering the effects.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Perfect if also encouraging others to precepts and harmless conduct and not to glorify indulging into intoxications causing to forget shame and fear of wrong doing and unrestrained behaviour, which is one big danger of happiness without considering the effects.

I couldn't have said it better meself.

Enjoy your day!

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Trust me - I wouldn't say something that wasn't the honest truth (from my current perspective)

Enjoy your day!
It's the quality behind mudita to trust that others have made certain merits in the past and would have the possibility to work on them for even refined. May householder not just enjoy his days away and always share his merits (letting others take part) to multiple gains. Beings would never like to do anything wrong if aware of what leads to long term happiness. To seek approve from wise is therefore needed and more secure as to always trust just oneself.

Ohh, there is a good talk on that, psychology related, by Ajahn Geoff:
In the Eyes of the Wise - The Buddha’s Teachings on Honor & Shame

“If our parents had taught us like that, we wouldn’t be needing therapy groups like this.”​

Much joy after good work through it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It's the quality behind mudita to trust that others have made certain merits in the past and would have the possibility to work on them for even refined. May householder not just enjoy his days away and always share his merits (letting others take part) to multiple gains. Beings would never like to do anything wrong if aware of what leads to long term happiness. To seek approve from wise is therefore needed and more secure as to always trust just oneself.

Ohh, there is a good talk on that, psychology related, by Ajahn Geoff:
In the Eyes of the Wise - The Buddha’s Teachings on Honor & Shame

“If our parents had taught us like that, we wouldn’t be needing therapy groups like this.”​

Much joy after good work through it.

Thanks again for the input. Parenting would be a breeeeeze if we were living in a sensible civilisation.

Here's another favourite site of mine - it is very comprehensive -

freedom Archives - Tiny Buddha

Esp this one -

"You will be free the moment you stop worrying about what other people think of you."

Ciao!

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
"You will be free the moment you stop worrying about what other people think of you."
It would be wrong if stating such categorically and leads even to much suffering when one loses shame in wrongdoings, good householder Geoff.

The critic and being aware that there are Devas and Saints watch you all the time are governing principals, required for lasting happiness.

So worry that acting wrong or that wise would criticize is very required to go beyond all worries. Only fools don't worry what others say and wise would listen and prove thing against truth, before laying aside if reasons for critic is/was not founded in one.

So may householder develop less tendencies toward places and shares of not very wise people but populated by common folk and their low desires.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It would be wrong if stating such categorically and leads even to much suffering when one loses shame in wrongdoings, good householder Geoff.

The critic and being aware that there are Devas and Saints watch you all the time are governing principals, required for lasting happiness.

So worry that acting wrong or that wise would criticize is very required to go beyond all worries. Only fools don't worry what others say and wise would listen and prove thing against truth, before laying aside if reasons for critic is/was not founded in one.

So may householder develop less tendencies toward places and shares of not very wise people but populated by common folk and their low desires.

Yes - not all human beings are wise which leads to a lot of not-so-happy folk ...

I'm all in favour of happiness -

What’s the Best Way to Start Getting Happier?

Cheers!

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
As in the first link mentioned, it's not only a matter of raising the right question (what if i do it/abound it, leads to my long term happiness?) but also whom one asks, one released, or one bond, wise or fool, householder.

'I have sons, I have wealth'
— the fool torments himself.
When even he himself
doesn't belong to himself,
how then sons?
How wealth?​

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
As in the first link mentioned, it's not only a matter of raising the right question (what if i do it/abound it, leads to my long term happiness?) but also whom one asks, one released, or one bond, wise or fool, householder.

'I have sons, I have wealth'
— the fool torments himself.
When even he himself
doesn't belong to himself,
how then sons?
How wealth?​

Thanks for the input. Reminds me of this site -

24 Powerful Keys to Transcend the Ego

Off to do some shoppin ...

Ciao!