• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope warns theologians against serving public opinion

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Oct. 06 (CWNews.com) - Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) warned theologians against serving "the dictatorship of common opinion," as he celebrated Mass on October 6 with the members of the International Theological Commission.

The International Theological Commission had been meeting in Rome this week to discuss the fate of children who die unbaptized, with widespread reports indicating that the group would recommend a move away from the concept of Limbo. Pope Benedict XVI did not mention that topic in his homily during the Mass that closed the Commission's week-long meeting.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Didn't they get rid of purgatory a few months ago? And now they're "moving away from the concept of" Limbo? :D

Quiddity

Djamila said:
Didn't they get rid of purgatory a few months ago? And now they're "moving away from the concept of" Limbo? :D

If they got rid of any of what we hold as dogma, I wouldn't be here calling myself catholic. No doctrine or dogma was changed Mila. Just more fairy tale rumors.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Oh it wasn't a source, just something to read. I couldn't find anything about the purgatory thing anyways, I just vaguely remember it from the news a while ago.

Quiddity

Djamila said:
Oh it wasn't a source, just something to read. I couldn't find anything about the purgatory thing anyways, I just vaguely remember it from the news a while ago.

If I read something of Islam from one of the newspapers over here would you feel confident with me using that as a source?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
But I didn't mean it as a source? It's not even about what you asked me to provide a source for.

Quiddity

Djamila said:
But I didn't mean it as a source? It's not even about what you asked me to provide a source for.

Well your original post sounded one of sarcastic questioning. As if you truly believed it. Naturally I'm going to ask for a source.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
So, when the church came up with the idea of limbo, it was just "Hey, we think this Limbo thing might exist" and now they're not sure?

Quiddity

MaddLlama said:
So, when the church came up with the idea of limbo, it was just "Hey, we think this Limbo thing might exist" and now they're not sure?

It wasn't the Church (authoritative body) but rather theologians in the Church that were attempting to explain an unknown. That is what happens to unbaptized infants.