• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Names His First Canadian Bishops

Scott1

Pope Names His First Canadian Bishops
For Keewatin-Le Pas and Hamilton

OTTAWA, JULY 11, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI has named his first two Canadian bishops.

Father Sylvain Lavoie, 58, an Oblate of Mary Immaculate, was named coadjutor bishop of Keewatin-Le Pas, Manitoba, and Father Gerard Bergie, 46, was named auxiliary of Hamilton, Ontario, the Vatican press office and the Canadian bishops' conference announced today.

Born in Delmas, Saskatchewan, Sylvain Lavoie was ordained to the priesthood after joining the Community of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate in 1974, and following his education in theology at St. Charles Scholasticate in Battleford, Saskatchewan.

He later became provincial superior and consultor of his religious community and worked in a number of parishes in the Archdiocese of Keewatin-Le Pas. He has been pastor of a Cree community in Makwa, Saskatchewan.

As coadjutor, Bishop-elect Lavoie would be in line to succeed Archbishop Peter Sutton, 70.

The Archdiocese of Keewatin-Le Pas has a Catholic population of 37,000 in 48 parishes and missions. Its pastoral ranks include 16 diocesan and religious order priests.

Gerard Paul Bergie was born in Hamilton, Ontario. He received a master's degree in divinity from the University of Western Ontario in 1983 and a licentiate in canon law from the University of St. Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum) in Rome in 1991.

Ordained to the priesthood in May 1984, he has served in parishes and occupied diocesan posts, including chancellor.

The Diocese of Hamilton serves a Catholic population of 560,000 in 150 parishes and missions. Its pastoral ranks include 118 diocesan priests and 90 priests belonging to religious communities.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
"As coadjutor, Bishop-elect Lavoie would be in line to succeed Archbishop Peter Sutton, 70."

I find that interesting, as there is no automatic promotion in the Church of England.
We have an even weirder selection procedure where three candidates are offered to the Priminister who chooses one to recommend to the Queen.
we really need to be disestablished.
Though we always seem to get excellent Archbishops. perhaps such a chancy selection leaves it in Gods hands.

Terry

Scott1

Victor said:
Were they low on bishops or is this the first time?
I don't believe the story has anything to do with the lack of Bishops in Canada... this was just the first time Pope Benedict elevated anyone to Bishop in Cananda.
terry said:
I find that interesting, as there is no automatic promotion in the Church of England.
It's not an "automatic" promotion.... a Bishop retires at age 70.... usually, a coadjutor is the best person to take over.