• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis hospitalized with heart problems, respiratory infection

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The pope went to the hospital for a checkup, according to the Vatican, but had been experiencing difficulty breathing prior. Holy See Press Office Director Matteo Bruni said in a statement that the pope was at Gemelli Hospital "for some previously scheduled checkups."

According to the Telegraph, Francis was transported to the hospital via ambulance.

The Vatican News reported that Francis has not tested positive for COVID-19 but he will be hospitalized for a "few days." His schedule has been cleared for Thursday and Friday.

In July, Francis hinted he may scale back on traveling due to his physical condition and was open to the possibility of retiring.

"It's a natural option, but until today I haven't knocked on that door. I haven't said it's going to go in that direction, I haven't felt the need to think about this possibility. But that doesn't mean that the day after tomorrow, I won't start thinking about it, right? But right now, sincerely, I am not," Francis said.

Francis' predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, resigned the papacy at age 85 on Feb. 11, 2013 -- becoming the first pope to resign in 600 years.

I was wondering how it worked, like if the Pope is in the hospital or something like that. Do they have someone to fill in as the acting Pope?