• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: What Do Believe About Drinking?

WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CHOICES BEST DESCRIBES ALCOHOLISM:

• It is a disease and we have no control over it.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It is a disease but we can get control over it.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • It is a habit we acquire to help reduce stress.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It is something else I have described below.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrM

This is an interesting question and I hope you will answer the poll and give an explanation for your answer.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Personally I believe that alcohol isn't bad in itself. Those that do have alcoholism should realize that it is a disease, and that they need help. However, I also believe that alcohol, if used properly, is fine. Even for teenagers (with much less of a dose however, and much rarer).

SoulTYPE

Actually, I agree entirely with Druidus.

Alcohol, in moderation, is fine.

If Jesus had a problem with it, why would he turn water in to wine?

Khale

I don't consider alchoholism a disease, It's just a matter of self-control.

I don't think alchohol is all that bad, however I personally don't like the idea of getting drunk off of it. Anything that makes you lose control like alchohol can is bad news. As SoulTYPE01 said though: "Alcohol, in moderation, is fine."

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I know alcoholism to be a disease but it is possible to get control over it. However, I believe most people can drink responisbly and that's OK.

Lightkeeper

I've lived my whole life around alchoholism and have studied it for years. I think it's a disease and once you have this disease, you can't control alcohol usage. You can stop using alcohol, but you can't control the drinking. I have watched friends and family struggle with this for years.

KateTacular

My friends & I are pretty big partiers, so we drink a lot on a fairly regular basis. However, alcoholism runs in my family, so I've always tried to keep an eye on my own drinking and actions. Yes, alcohol obviously relaxes inhibitions, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. For me, that just means I'm more likely to dance or strike up a conversation with someone. If I HAD to have alcohol for those purposes, I'd see that as bad, but I don't feel that way. Anyway, I have wonderful memories of drunken excess with my best friends that I wouldn't trade for the world.

DrM

Lightkeeper said:
I've lived my whole life around alchoholism and have studied it for years. I think it's a disease and once you have this disease, you can't control alcohol usage. You can stop using alcohol, but you can't control the drinking. I have watched friends and family struggle with this for years.
I agreed with you through most of my education. However, I have come to see alcohol as a very bad, learned habit to control stress, among other things!

I see a disease as something like hypertension, diabetes, etc. An example of this would be to place 2 people on a deserted island with nothing but food and water. One of the persons is a diabetic. . . . . .the other is an alcoholic. Which one will eventually die without treatment? To forego treatment for the diabetic will eventually kill him. For the alcohol abuser to not drink any longer will cause him to become well and stronger. Diseases do not make us stronger. . . . .they can kill us. So, if one stops over-using alcohol they get well. . . . . . .strange disease.

What keeps us addicted to alcohol is the habit of hiding our ills, forgetting our troubles when we drink. Too much alcohol can create a disease of the liver, brain and other organs that will eventually destroy us. But the disease wasn't present to cause drinking in the beginning.

Much like I've heard people say they are genetically prone to alcohol abuse. Can this be accurate? No! Alcohol is not a natural substance and therefore cannot be genetically passed on.

Guess what I am alluding to is that when a person drinks too much, it's an excuse to admit they have a disease which, in turn gives them more permission than ever to get hammered. Afterall, it's a disease. . . .they have no control over this substance. Well, that's hooey! What needs to happen is to stop putting that liquid to the mouth and get help for the underlying stress and depression causing one to try to mask the true "disease", not the "preceived disease."

fromthe heart

I feel it's a disease...there are some that have a gene that makes them tend to be addicted easily to things such as alcoholic beverages...They don't dare even drink once a year without risking the NEED to have the next drink. Alcoholism had it's hooks in my family back a ways...My grandfather was addicted. He was a super guy...but if he drank he got drunk...he waqsn't mean or anything like some tend to be but he just couldn't handle the stuff. Since I came from those genes I'm very careful about anything that can be labeled as addictive. I do believe for some it is illness, others can do fine with it. I guess it's like anything else...sometimes your body just has it's ills.

I don't see anything wrong with a glass of wine with dinner, but to drink until you get a buzz for me is wrong. :)

DrM

fromthe heart said:
I feel it's a disease...there are some that have a gene that makes them tend to be addicted easily to things such as alcoholic beverages...They don't dare even drink once a year without risking the NEED to have the next drink. Alcoholism had it's hooks in my family back a ways...My grandfather was addicted. He was a super guy...but if he drank he got drunk...he waqsn't mean or anything like some tend to be but he just couldn't handle the stuff. Since I came from those genes I'm very careful about anything that can be labeled as addictive. I do believe for some it is illness, others can do fine with it. I guess it's like anything else...sometimes your body just has it's ills.

I don't see anything wrong with a glass of wine with dinner, but to drink until you get a buzz for me is wrong. :)
Well I too grew up in an alcohol abusive situation. My father was an alcohol abuser. As a young adult, so was I. But again, genetically speaking, alcohol predisposition cannot be passed through the genes because alcohol is NOT a natural substance. It is manufactured. Therefore it is impossible to be genetically passed on. We can not pass on manufactured substances. All else that leads to too much of anything is passed through environment unless one does have a disease of obsessive-compulsive.

fromthe heart

DrM said:
Well I too grew up in an alcohol abusive situation. My father was an alcohol abuser. As a young adult, so was I. But again, genetically speaking, alcohol predisposition cannot be passed through the genes because alcohol is NOT a natural substance. It is manufactured. Therefore it is impossible to be genetically passed on. We can not pass on manufactured substances. All else that leads to too much of anything is passed through environment unless one does have a disease of obsessive-compulsive.
I'm sorry but I must disagree with that.:tsk: ..the predisposition to it does come from a gene that can run in families. :)

Lightkeeper

DrM said:
I think if you do some serious family research you will find that there were other members of your father's family that had a problem with alcohol. Sometimes it's difficult to find the abusers because there is so much denial about the problem, particularly if there are some functioning alcoholics. The is a genetic predisposition to alcohol. Some bodies cannot tolerate the substance. You can assume that you probably have this condition. It is better not to deny it.

Fluffy

A fool
mmmm nah I think I gotta go with hoping that some day there will be a complete ban on drinking. This is totally selfish since I know it is restricting other peoples rights... I just can't help feeling bad when I see all of my friends messed up because of it. I don't want any kind of moderation here, just a total ban... hehe I wonder what the chances of that ever happening are :).

huajiro

I quit drinking over 2 years ago. You would be amazed at how little you really need it...a little buzz now and then is not a bad thing....but people depend on alcohol. I did too a long time ago.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Mmmm , me thinks all of the above are true , to a degree . It depends upon the person . Take diadeties for excample . Is sugar bad for you ? Of course not . Do all diabetics have the same problems with sugar ? No .

Gotta run , but I think that you can get my point from what I have said ?

Oh , even non-diabetics can have problems with too much sugar . :)

Melody

DrM said:
This is an interesting question and I hope you will answer the poll and give an explanation for your answer.
Alcoholism runs in my step-father's family. All three of his siblings and both of his parents were alcoholics. He was well on his way when he was diagnosed with diabetes and the doc told him to give up drinking or plan on sticking himself with a needle for the rest of his life. He gave up drinking that day. Now he drinks an occasional glass of wine, but rarely.

On my mom's side of the family I see a lot of addictions - gambling, food, overspending, drugs, alcohol. This makes me think that the addiction of choice is just that....a choice...and if it isn't alcohol, it would be something else because they have an addictive personality.

Melody

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I'm gonna have to face it, I'm addicted to love! :D

I talked about my father's alcohol induced death, so you probably can guess my stand on alcoholics. It's time for some TOUGH love!

But there is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol though many will erroneously use Bible scriptures to assert as such.

t3gah

NetDoc said:
I'm gonna have to face it, I'm addicted to love! :D

I talked about my father's alcohol induced death, so you probably can guess my stand on alcoholics. It's time for some TOUGH love!

But there is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol though many will erroneously use Bible scriptures to assert as such.
I hope they, whomever they are, look at the scriptures that say not to indulge in too much alcohol because
drunkards are a "no no" in the bible.

Sorry to hear about your dad, ND.