• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Affiliations of Quorum Members

I'm interested in how many of the Quorum of the twelve/fifteen are Republicans vs. Democrats. Also, what about the rest of the 70? Any statistics on the Republican/Democratic breakdown?

How about a rundown on the Quorum members past jobs before they joined the Quorum? For instance, Hinckley ran a railroad, correct? Do they all come from big business?

Thanks

Watchmen

Premium Member
I doubt such information is available.

I never heard Hinckley ran a railroad - I thought he was always a church-related journalist.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
I'm not aware of political affiliations. Only one I knew about was Pres. Faust, who was a democrat. All I can say is there's probably an equal mixture. I agree that it may be difficult to find that information, because even though it's probably no secret I'm sure they're not extremely vocal about it.

As for past jobs, I know that Pres. Eyring and Elders Holland and Bednar were in education, and were former presidents of BYU or BYU-Idaho. Elder Oaks was a lawyer. Elder Nelson was a heart surgeon. Pres. Uchtdorf was an airline pilot. I don't know of any others. I'm sure that information wouldn't be too difficult to find.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Here are a few facts from the 2010 Church Almanac:

President Thomas S. Monson: (Age 83). MBA from Brigham Young University, four honorary doctorates. Career was in newspaper advertising and sales management with Deseret News.

President Henry B. Eyring: (Age 77). Masters and doctorates in business from Harvard University. Professor at Stanford Graduate School of Business. Was President of Ricks College and Commissioner of Church Education.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: (Age 69). :drool: Education was in engireering, business administration and international management. Was Senior Vice President of Flight Operations and Chief Pilot of Lufthansa Airlines.

Elder Boyd K. Packer: (Age 85). Masters degree from Utah State University, doctorate in educational administration from BYU. Former supervisor of Seminaries and Institutes of Religion.

Elder L. Tom Perry: (Age 88). Bachelor's degree in finance from the University of Utah. Controller, Vice President and Treasurer of department store organizations in a number of states.

Elder Russell M. Nelson: (Age 85). MD from the University of Utah, PhD from the University of Minnesota. Heart surgeon. Former President of the Society for Vascular Surgery and Chairman of the Council on Cariovascular Surgery for the American Heart Association.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks: (Age 78). Doctorate in law from the University of Chicago. Law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren. Professor of law at the University of Chicago. BYU President. Justice on the Utah Supreme Court.

Elder M. Russell Ballard: (Age 81). Served on several community and national boards, and directed a number of business and civic enterprises.

Elder Richard G. Scott: (Age 81). Degree in mechanical engineering from Geroge Washington University. Worked of the staff of Admiral Hyman Rickover developing military and private nuclear power reactors.

Elder Robert D. Hales: (Age 78). MBA from Harvard University. Was an executive with four major national companies.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: (Age 69). Masters and doctorates in American studies from Yale University. Former Church Commissional of Education, President of BYU.

Elder David A. Bednar: (Age 58). Doctorate from Purdue University. Professor of business management at Texas Tech University. President of BYU-Idaho.

Elder Quentin L. Cool: (Age 69). Former managing partner of a San Francisco Bay area law firm and President and CEO of a California healthcare system.

Elder D. Todd Christofferson: (Age 65). Law degree from Duke University. Former Associate General Counsel of Bank of America in Charlott, NC.

Neil L. Andersen: (Age 59). MBA from Harvard University. Career was in advertising, real estate development and healthcare.

I'm not aware of any of their political affiliations, but I suspect that at least three-quarters of them are Republican.