• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pokemon is the agent of the Devil?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbara Whitehorse started seeking answers after her son asked a typical question: "Mom, can I get Pokemon cards? A lot of my friends from church have them." Much as she wanted Matthew to have fun with his friends, she gave a loving refusal. Matthew's tutor had already warned her that the Pokemon craze could stir interest in other kinds of occult role-playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons. At the time, she wondered if the tutor had just over-reacted to some harmless entertainment. After all, the cute little Pokemon creatures looked nothing like the dark demonic creatures of D&D. But when she learned that a local Christian school had banned them because of their link to the occult, she changed her mind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the funniest thing ever. Anyways, do you think Pokemon is teaching young kids about occult?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Malus01 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbara Whitehorse started seeking answers after her son asked a typical question: "Mom, can I get Pokemon cards? A lot of my friends from church have them." Much as she wanted Matthew to have fun with his friends, she gave a loving refusal. Matthew's tutor had already warned her that the Pokemon craze could stir interest in other kinds of occult role-playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons. At the time, she wondered if the tutor had just over-reacted to some harmless entertainment. After all, the cute little Pokemon creatures looked nothing like the dark demonic creatures of D&D. But when she learned that a local Christian school had banned them because of their link to the occult, she changed her mind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the funniest thing ever. Anyways, do you think Pokemon is teaching young kids about occult?
This reminds me of when Enid Blighton's 'Noddy and Bigears'
books were judged to imply a homosexual relationship between the two, and needed to be taken off the shelves because the youngsters might get the wrong idea.:eek:

Oh, and the answer to your question, Malus, "NO"

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Because some people feel the need to believe a boogeyman is hiding in things as benign as patterns. I kid you not, once I spoke with a nutjob who thought some patterns had Satan in them because they were from India. :areyoucra

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:

Because if you believe in evil being all around you and look for it everywhere, eventually you're going to find it.
:rolleyes:
I agree completely, and the prase about 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' ? - I think can be reworded to reflect evil as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't see how anyone could associate pokemon with the occult. Even Magic The Gathering is far from what the occult really is. And Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy role playing game. Some people just need to realize that fantasy and fiction mean it is not real. And just because a company is called Wizards of the Coast doesn't make them actual wizards.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Maize said:

Because if you believe in evil being all around you and look for it everywhere, eventually you're going to find it.
:rolleyes:
No need for the sarcasm A...

Here is something else for the wiccan babes :

Panama City Police Detective Tom Harris, the department expert on satanic and occult crimes, described D&D during a workshop with school teachers as a game that leads impressionable kids into an interest in casting spells and performing witchcraft rituals.

Heh, I played D & D when I was a kid, I also play Magic cards, and yet I don't dance naked in cemeteries carrying a sword and trying to summon the dead.;)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Kinda remind me of the Adam Sandler character's mom from "The Waterboy", played so well over-the-top by Kathy Bates (I believe). "Footzball is the Debbil !"

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
As silly as this subject is, it is pointing to a social fact. There does appear to be a problem of hyper-vigilance in our society. There is also a problem of sliding a social agenda into children's shows and books. We all laugh at Jerry Fallwell and his statements about the Teletubbies. There is, however, a social agenda to validate homosexuality being taught to our children that is rightly objected to. This is not the school's job!!!
As far as games go, I look at it as just that, a game. The overreaction to Pokemon is really funny. I am not into games but I see them as a fantasy outlet and better to just role play than to go out and do the real thing. If you try to suppress it, it will grow into something that can be real bad. Where is the Beaver when we really need him?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Bennettresearch said:
There is, however, a social agenda to validate homosexuality being taught to our children that is rightly objected to. This is not the school's job!!!
There is? I can't help but look around in confusion and go "where?" when I hear 'f*g' being tossed around left and right at the school I used to go to.

It's not the school's job to have children validate every day that we are one nation under God either, but they do it.

robtex

Veteran Member
Malus01 said:

That is really common down here in Texas. When I was growing-up my younger brother and other kids were really into D & D. The churches were kicking out some of the members of their group when they brought their D & D books to church. I know the JW's down here are not allowed to read things that are attributed to any mythology by the kingdom hall.

Some of the churches, and this was in the mid-80's even had committees to stop the kids in their churches from playing d & d. It wasn't on the premise that it was occult but instead, on the premise of the role--playing as being a false prophet.

nutshell

I'm sorry, but I just don't get those who think Pokemon, Harry Potter, and D&D are part of the occult. These are just fantasies that have nothing to do with reality. They are stories of good vs. evil with good winning (except for the occassional episode where bad wins to add suspense, but is eventually conquered).

As far as Pokemon goes, it's a Japanese kids cartoon that has made it into mainstream America. For me, saying Pokemon is evil is like saying GI Joe or Transformers is evil.

This year I went to our county fair and there was a Christian booth promoting a book about the dangers of Harry Potter. The cover of the book was all in shadows and showed the outline of Harry riding his broom. He had red "demon" eyes. It was ridiculous. I wondered if they had even read a Harry Potter book. If they did, they would see how far from the occult it really is.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I ended up looking up Pokemon on Wikipedia and all I can say is... um, wow.

"There are also allegations, particularly among Christians, against "Pokemon" citing liberal views on morality. These include the immodest dress of some of the female characters in the show, the use of the phrase "kick your as*" in the lyrics of a song in the show, though the phrase was later removed and replaced with different lyrics, and a certain character, ("James"), wearing women's clothes in several episodes of the show, giving some the impression that he is transvestite."

Saying "kick your as*" is liberal? :areyoucra

"A few Islamic religious speakers in Saudi Arabia (which has banned Pokémon), Jordan, and Egypt hold that Pokémon is part of a "Jewish conspiracy" to corrupt Muslim children. They claim incorrectly that the word "Pokemon" is a Japanese word which means "I am a Jew." One Saudi Arabian Sheikh (Sheikh Abdel Moneim Abu Zant) has written "The Pokémon craze is a Jewish plot aimed at forcing our children to forgo their faith and values and to distract them from more important things such as scientific ambitions." The Anti-Defamation League has denounced these theories."

People make me go :banghead3

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
For goodness' sake; what are we all doing ?

I was brought up abroad, so I don't know much about being brought up even in England, but, as far as I know, My Mother's generation revelled in teaching their kids scary stories about witches - whatever.
It is almost as if people don't have enough to worry about that they feel they have to look under every stone, in case there's a bit of dirt there.:149:

nutshell

By the way...Pokemon is Japan using English and shortening two words to creat their own word.

Pokemon = Pocket Monster (not, "I am a Jew").

Japan has many words like this:

AmeFuto = American Football

Purei Sutei = Play Station

there's many more, but some reason I can't remember them. Maybe the Pokemon occult has cast a memory erasing spell on my brain!!!