• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please tell me how you came to know Jesus.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I will go first. I always thought that I was destined for hell because I was terrified of God as a result of having an abusive father and not knowing Jesus. I believe that one time I saw Satan when I closed my eyes and that I was under demonic attack constantly because Satan kept telling me that there was no hope. Fast forward a few years to when I was 13 I started going to church and hearing about Jesus. I started to believe in Him, but I did not truly know Him. Then one day when I was 15 years old, on 16 September, 1996, when I was reading a Christian book on happiness, God said to me "How can you be happy if you are not saved?" and I realized that I needed to change my mind about being a sinner and accept Jesus as my Friend, God, Lord, and Savior. I went to the bathroom and locked myself in there so that the cats would not bother me, and I changed my mind about being a sinner and accepted Jesus as my Friend, God, Lord, and Savior. At the time I knew only the bare basics. I did not know what it meant to repent (I found out the meaning of the word "repent" after years of being a Christian), but I did change my mind about being a sinner and accepted Jesus as my Friend God, Lord, and Savior. That is all that I needed to do to be saved. I did not have to know the meaning of theological words. As long as I knew to change my mind about being a sinner and accept Jesus as my Friend, God, Lord, and Savior, I would be saved. How very merciful of God to love and accept me, even though I did not know what certain Christian theological words meant. Okay, it is your turn. Edit: I forgot to tell you that I found real hope when I found Jesus.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
My school was a catholic one.

Just a lot of time after being catholic I understood my way of seeing Jesus was completely different on the way everyone saw him and with time I just grew apart from catholisism but kept with the respect to Jesus as a higher being, a devoted teacher and a loving brother and human being :)

IsmailaGodHasHeard

My school was a catholic one.

Just a lot of time after being catholic I understood my way of seeing Jesus was completely different on the way everyone saw him and with time I just grew apart from catholisism but kept with the respect to Jesus as a higher being, a devoted teacher and a loving brother and human being :)

How do you believe that Jesus is different?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I know Him by His Word.....His teachings.

His parables are the way to 'see' Him.
Without His parables in mind and heart, He will not see Himself, in you.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So when did you change your mind about all of your sins and accept Jesus as your Friend, God, Lord, and Savior?

I always accepted Him as my Friend, God, Lord, and Savior. I guess I became aware that I was in need of grace and forgiveness when I was about five. It wasn't a matter of changing my mind about my sins though. It was a matter of understanding the concept of justice and beginning to understand the concept of grace.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

But the only way to be saved is to change your mind about all of your sins and accept Jesus as your Friend, God, Lord and Savior. Did you do that when you were five?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't think God is as legalistic as we make Him out to be. If by "changing your mind about all your sins" also means "repenting" - yes, I did that when I was five. And I've done it just about every day of my life since then. And I will continue to do it - because I will continue to fall short of the mark.

But I also know that, just as I would never turn my back on my own child, God will not turn His back on me.

Me Myself

Back to my username
How do you believe that Jesus is different?

I beleive he is an example for human being and also a God, but I beleive everyone is God. So I believe when he says he is god and he is talking about "the son of Man" he is talking about everyone.

I basically see him as a big brother, that in past lifes was not as saint as in the last life we read about, but he learned to be as saint as we saw him in the testaments. So I see him as an example of what I can become and anyone can become, and saw us all with love and compassion because he knows that deep bithin us we have his same sainthood.

We are all "Christ" (this is my interpretation of what Jesus said and how he wanted us to be christians, naturaly I am not debating about it, but well you askd me)

That´s the way I see him.

heretic

Heretic Knight
I don't believe that jesus was God , I don't believe that he suffered on the cross to save us from our sins , I believe that son of man is the most lovable friend , I believe him the man who I want to receive me in the after life with his catching beautiful face , I always was taken by his story , his suffering , his love to mother , to people , friends and enemies ,to God , to nature . he is my icon.
I saw him once in my sleeping when I was about 18 , this is about 12 years ago ,he was somewhere in a wooden room , he was dressed in white , and little wind moved his hair , his hair is brown with red shades , his eyes was wide , his face was white , and smiling a very beautiful smile , I was very happy when I woke up , and felt peace filled my soul .hope to see him again very soon , Amen .

idea

Question Everything
This is my story:

Why I am a Mormon

I was not always a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I grew up in a non-denominational Christian family. Throughout my life I have learned about and met with many different religious denominations and groups. I find it fascinating to explore the many different philosophies and expressions of spirituality which exist around the world. There are many different viewpoints and many similar viewpoints too. As an example of similarities, I don’t remember ever meeting with anyone who didn’t hold the pursuit of love as their highest endeavor. The human soul longs for a purpose and meaning in life that is greater and grander than merely living for ourselves. A belief in a benevolent God and in all that He stands for provides purpose and meaning to many lives.

While I was in college, I took a comparative religions class. One of our assignments was to go to a religious meeting with a group that we had never met with before. At the time I had a friend who was Mormon. Mormons were one of the few groups that I had never met with, and so I decided to go with him and see what the Mormon church was all about. The first time you meet with any group it’s a little awkward. There are always new customs and etiquettes you have to learn before you can feel at home. At the time, my friend was teaching one of the children’s classes at the church. I decided to tag along with him in his children’s class rather than go with a bunch of strangers into a meeting I was unfamiliar with. It was a little embarrassing to be an adult sitting in a children’s class, but I would have felt self-conscious anywhere I went.

In the children’s class, my friend taught a lesson on what is called “the plan of salvation”. He drew big circles on a chalkboard which represented different stages of spiritual progression. The circle in the center of the board represented our life on Earth with all of the joys, sorrows, and lessons that we learn here. On the right hand side of the board was a series of circles representing different spiritual worlds which are attained after death. Most Christians lump the afterlife into “heaven and hell”, in the Mormon faith it is a little different. After death they teach there is a temporary stage where those who have not learned about Jesus can have a chance to gain everything they might have missed out on in life. Once everyone has a complete understanding of everything, spirits are reunited with bodies, and given an eternal home in one of three different kingdoms. On the left hand of the chalkboard was a circle representing something that I had never seen taught by a Christian group. Mormons teach that before we were born on Earth, our spirit resided in heaven with God; that we call God our “Heavenly Father” because He is literally the Father of our spirits.

What happened in that class next is hard to describe. It’s one of those things that you have to experience for yourself to really understand. Through my life I had read many accounts of various people having various spiritual experiences. I have climbed mountains to see breathtaking vistas, immersed myself in stirring music, cried, and laughed. Up until this class, I thought that was what spiritual experiences were. Those kinds of things can indeed be spiritual, but what happened in that classroom was of a different caliper than anything I had before experienced. As I sat in the midst of boisterous kids looking up at the circles on the chalkboard, I became aware of another presence in the room. Even though I did not see anything with my eyes, it was very clear that someone else was there with us. You might think me insane, but I felt a power come over me, I was encircled within a warmth. Along with this warmth came the knowledge that the plan of salvation I was looking at on the chalkboard was true. I knew it would be hard to describe. Regrettably in words I am unable to convey the experience. In short, that was the day where God went from being a just a poetic philosophical idea, to being an actual physical reality for me. Strange, it had never really occurred to me that it was real.

Almost twelve years have past since that day with my friend in his children’s class. Since joining the church, I have had many spiritual experiences. Those who read this might feel inclined to suggest that perhaps I have a medical condition, and I realize that there are indeed medical conditions which can produce warm sensations and various other anomalies. After an honest evaluation I have come to the conclusion that medical conditions are unable to warn you of traffic jams, guide you to call the right people at the right time, or help in any of a hundred other scenarios for which my five senses were unable to give me the information I needed. After that class I started noticing other more subtle guiding lights too. Psychologists talk about the id, ego, and superego. Cartoons often depict characters listening to advice from an angel perched on their shoulder, like the Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio. Everyone understands what a conscience is, has felt a wave of guilt over doing something wrong, or felt joy over a good deed. I never thought about where all of those things came from before. Now I know that the still small voice of the Spirit is there with all of us if we take the time to listen.

“Major discoveries are not like the discovery of America, where the general nature of the discovered object is already known. Rather, they are like recognizing that one has been dreaming.” - Paul Feyerabend

It’s truly a new reality, to live with the knowledge that God is real. I can’t help but think that the divisions and contentions between all of the learned doctors of divinity could all be resolved if they had merely gone to the source for their answers. The Mormon church is a place where ordinary people meet together to share extraordinary experiences and wisdom. I am often reminded that the most powerful lessons in the scriptures were taught by humble fishermen and shepherds who held no fancy degrees.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
How did I come to know Jesus?

Well, its very long story. When I was a baby I was baptized Catholic. Though never went to church. Except through a period of a year or two with my father who was methodist, though occasionally appeared in an Episcopal church. Lasted up till I believe, I was 12 or 13. Occasionally Id go to Baptist church with my Aunt when Id visit my Mother on the weekends(parents split).

When I hit 13 or 14 I became more aware of heavy metal and especially a band called "Slipknot". I pretty much idolized these guys. And wanted to be like them. Atheist, if not satanic. I became interested in Levay Satanism for awhile at one point being 16. I was a bad teen. Id drink and smoke cigs and weed. Steal, and many things I regret now. I ended up at 18 dropping out of school(being only in 10th grade) and ended up couch surfing and sleeping on the street. Luckily I met a "friend" whos father and him took me in. Reason I say "friend" is not because he wasn't a friend, as in a bad person. Just that, an influence that corrupted me more.

Anyway, I ended up in jail after my 19th birthday for 3 months, waiting for court. Something really petty, but since I had no money, had no bail. But whats funny, is before then I had attempted to steal something while drunk that went bad. Well my buddy gave me a rosary, that I liked for some reason, even though not really knowing what it was or how to pray it. But I made a promise on it, to Christ that if I get away and not go to jail, id not drink anymore and straighten myself out. Well I broke that promise a day latter and what happen? I get arrested not even a week later.

While in Jail, I had very religious "cellies". How gave me a bible, which I spent much time reading. The Psalms gave me much comfort, God gave me much comfort. Not only did the promise I broke, came back on me(may seem superstitious but whatever) but the way I got through jail was by God. First Mass I attended, was a Jail house mass.

When I got out, I left and moved in with family to get my life straight. I joined RCIA but ended up leaving a few months later. Many reasons why, though all pathetic. Ended up going to Judaism which I spent almost a year studying and learning. Though, left that for Catholicism when I felt called back.

May sound strange, and even Blasphemous to non-Catholics, which is normal I guess, but the Blessed Virgin Mary I believe called me back. I felt spiritually dead from Judaism. And while EWTN has mass on the day, I accidently passed it while contemplating on why I felt such a way spiritually. Well the mass made me remember spiritual experiences I had at mass before. I remembered the Rosary and the help the Saints gave me through intercession. And the Blessed Virgin Mary. I do believe she was prayering for my soul and Christ granted her, her wish by giving me the grace to come back. Which is funny, because through her intercession my Mother has recently decided to come back to the Church. :D

I am pretty sure no one will read any of this, but I am in a sharing mood right now. Either way, may God Bless you all

IsmailaGodHasHeard

How did I come to know Jesus?

Well, its very long story. When I was a baby I was baptized Catholic. Though never went to church. Except through a period of a year or two with my father who was methodist, though occasionally appeared in an Episcopal church. Lasted up till I believe, I was 12 or 13. Occasionally Id go to Baptist church with my Aunt when Id visit my Mother on the weekends(parents split).

When I hit 13 or 14 I became more aware of heavy metal and especially a band called "Slipknot". I pretty much idolized these guys. And wanted to be like them. Atheist, if not satanic. I became interested in Levay Satanism for awhile at one point being 16. I was a bad teen. Id drink and smoke cigs and weed. Steal, and many things I regret now. I ended up at 18 dropping out of school(being only in 10th grade) and ended up couch surfing and sleeping on the street. Luckily I met a "friend" whos father and him took me in. Reason I say "friend" is not because he wasn't a friend, as in a bad person. Just that, an influence that corrupted me more.

Anyway, I ended up in jail after my 19th birthday for 3 months, waiting for court. Something really petty, but since I had no money, had no bail. But whats funny, is before then I had attempted to steal something while drunk that went bad. Well my buddy gave me a rosary, that I liked for some reason, even though not really knowing what it was or how to pray it. But I made a promise on it, to Christ that if I get away and not go to jail, id not drink anymore and straighten myself out. Well I broke that promise a day latter and what happen? I get arrested not even a week later.

While in Jail, I had very religious "cellies". How gave me a bible, which I spent much time reading. The Psalms gave me much comfort, God gave me much comfort. Not only did the promise I broke, came back on me(may seem superstitious but whatever) but the way I got through jail was by God. First Mass I attended, was a Jail house mass.

When I got out, I left and moved in with family to get my life straight. I joined RCIA but ended up leaving a few months later. Many reasons why, though all pathetic. Ended up going to Judaism which I spent almost a year studying and learning. Though, left that for Catholicism when I felt called back.

May sound strange, and even Blasphemous to non-Catholics, which is normal I guess, but the Blessed Virgin Mary I believe called me back. I felt spiritually dead from Judaism. And while EWTN has mass on the day, I accidently passed it while contemplating on why I felt such a way spiritually. Well the mass made me remember spiritual experiences I had at mass before. I remembered the Rosary and the help the Saints gave me through intercession. And the Blessed Virgin Mary. I do believe she was prayering for my soul and Christ granted her, her wish by giving me the grace to come back. Which is funny, because through her intercession my Mother has recently decided to come back to the Church. :D

I am pretty sure no one will read any of this, but I am in a sharing mood right now. Either way, may God Bless you all
That is beautiful. I am glad that you know Jesus.