• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Prove With The Scriptures That Baptism Is A "Good Work."

Kolibri

The only one I can think of off hand might be Matt 28:19, 20. Baptism is listed as part of the command of Jesus to his disciples, that after they taught others to also be disciples of Christ that they would baptize them. As an assignment that requires effort, I suppose it classifies as :"work." And as it is required activity, if done properly to the right people, should be considered "good."

1 Pet 3:20,21 likened baptism to the building of Noah's ark as tangible evidence that we have already dedicated our lives to do God's will. It is in effect a request to God for a clean conscience. (A clean conscience would allow us to work without guilt constantly sapping us of strength). But this scripture, unlike Matt 28:19, 20, puts this in perspective of the one being baptized, not the baptizer. So it does classify as an action, but one that is generally only done once to prepare the person for other activities.

But I don't recall any scripture that definitively lists baptism as a "good work."

Last edited:

katiemygirl

CHRISTIAN
The only one I can think of off hand might be Matt 28:19, 20. Baptism is listed as part of the command of Jesus to his disciples, that after they taught others to also be disciples of Christ that they would baptize them. As an assignment that requires effort, I suppose it classifies as :"work." And as it is required activity, if done properly to the right people, should be considered "good."

1 Pet 3:20,21 likened baptism to the building of Noah's ark as tangible evidence that we have already dedicated our lives to do God's will. It is in effect a request to God for a clean conscience. (A clean conscience would allow us to work without guilt constantly sapping us of strength). But this scripture, unlike Matt 28:19, 20, puts this in perspective of the one being baptized, not the baptizer. So it does classify as an action, but one that is generally only done once to prepare the person for other activities.

But I don't recall any scripture that definitively lists baptism as a "good work."

I thank you for your response. To the best of my knowledge, no Scripture says baptism is a good work.

Wouldn't you agree that repentance requires effort as well, if not more? Yet, no one calls repentance a good work.

One could even say belief requires effort. Romans 10:17 says faith comes by hearing the word of God. Doesn't hearing require effort on our part?

Confessing Jesus before men requires effort. Is confessing Jesus a good work?

After reading the 1 Peter 3 passage more times than I can count, I conclude that baptism corresponds to the flood. I believe the verse says precisely that. Verse 21 says "corresponding to that." The "that" is the flood waters, which the eight were brought safely through.

Peter is saying that just as the eight were brought safely through water, baptism now saves you through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Peter is essentially saying we are brought safely through the waters of baptism through the resurrection of Jesus.

In no way is Peter saying there is magic in the water, and neither am I, although some will foolishly accuse me of it. Peter is simply pointing out that the eight were brought safely through the flood waters by means of the ark. We are brought safely through the waters of baptism by means of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

Blessings,

Katie

Kolibri

Thank you Katie,

Regarding 1 Peter 3:20,21 I do believe I may have made a mistake in correspondences. When I mentioned that is corresponds to the building of the ark itself, I misspoke, even misrepresented the official understanding of Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole - which is kinda important to me not to misrepresent. Maybe because I have this perception what I say here reflects strongly not just on my individual faith, but also on the religion I represent.

Rereading and rereading and rechecking and rechecking (while being distracted by 2 other demands for my attention while feeling time pressured to respond here quickly), I am trying to update my understanding and put it in words that are brief and reasonable. There is an agreeable correspondence between baptism founded on faith and the preservation thru the floodwaters. The big picture is both Noah and his family were and we today can be in a saved condition by our faith and living in harmony with it.

I don't think I can digress farther within this thread or we will remain off topic.
---------------------------------

I am reminded however of Matt 7:21-27 as it relates to "good works." There Jesus said that for works to be considered truly good, we need to do what we are told to do by him, not just busying ourselves with what seems good and favorable from our own perspective. Even "good works" can be looked upon with disfavor by our Lord and Savior if we are not obeying him.

Last edited: