• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please positive Evidence for a young earth

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
2. Appeal to Authority
This sort of error is also known as “Argumentum Verecundia” (argument from modesty). Instead of concentrating on the benefits of an argument, the arguer will attempt to append their argument to an individual of power or authority in an effort to give trustworthiness to their argument.

Touting oneself as THE authority instead of on the benefits of an argument is NOT a valid form of argument.

Yes, it is *if* they are, in fact, an authority. The invalid form of the argument is 'Argument from Invalid Authority'. Now, you can attempt to claim that shunyadragon isn't an authority (good luck!), but if he is, his argument is completely valid.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
We have a pretty good historical record for the Earth existing thousands of years ago, the further back we go the more speculative/ less empirical things get

Historical evidence would focus on human events, and yes we have pretty good historical record as long as civilization existed, but the further back we go in human history we rely more and more on archaeological and paleontological evidence.

Whether 200, 1,000, 2,000, 10,000 or a million years in the past concerning the nature of our physical existence particularly the geology and geomorphology, especially in this case any 'positive evidence' of a flood of Biblical proportions. Human historical records are of no help in this.

How can human historical records be used in geologic history?

Example: in China a massive catastrophic flood was recorded as happening 4,000 years ago in the Yellow River Valley. Up until recently it was considered a myth, but recently geologic evidence confirmed and dated this flood in 1920 BCE.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If you are not honest enough to admit you are wrong and then quote fallacies to me when you use them yourself to the point that it looks more like a strawman effort.

Then you are a biased scientist spewing biased viewpoints.[

No, you failed to provide any 'positive evidence' of a Biblical type flood any time in recent geologic history. Still waiting for you to respond to the main issue. Where is the positive evidence for a Biblical flood?

My original post "The flood?!?!? I would love to. There is absolutely no 'positive evidence' for a world nor regional flood on the proportions of a Biblical flood as described in the Bible."

You are definitely misrepresenting my original post.

The sort term 'out wash' events do not meet the criteria I specified in my original post.

Still waiting . . .
moving goal post fallacy. You mentioned two -- regional and global. I started with the regional and then you decided only global.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes, it is *if* they are, in fact, an authority. The invalid form of the argument is 'Argument from Invalid Authority'. Now, you can attempt to claim that shunyadragon isn't an authority (good luck!), but if he is, his argument is completely valid.

I may not be a geologist but I wasn't born yesterday. Look up the context in which he said that... I stand on my position that he used a fallacy.

I'm right because I am a geologist isn't an argument. I quoted a geologist that others ridiculed... the same later received an award.

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Historical evidence would focus on human events, and yes we have pretty good historical record as long as civilization existed, but the further back we go in human history we rely more and more on archaeological and paleontological evidence.

Whether 200, 1,000, 2,000, 10,000 or a million years in the past concerning the nature of our physical existence particularly the geology and geomorphology, especially in this case any 'positive evidence' of a flood of Biblical proportions. Human historical records are of no help in this.

Yes, first hand evidence only goes so far. this doesn't mean nothing happened before, but it means we can be less sure of how and when it did happen

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
moving goal post fallacy. You mentioned two -- regional and global. I started with the regional and then you decided only global.

No gold post moved, evidence of either regional or global is acceptable for 'positive evidence' of a flood of Biblical proportions.

Kenny

Premium Member
No gold post moved, evidence of either regional or global is acceptable for a flood of Biblical proportions.
REGIONAL still means REGIONAL!!!!!

The damage over an EXTENSIVE are in 1-2 days is BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS.

You stand corrected. And you also stand fully biased!!

I can't trust that you will honestly discuss it and therefore bow out of a biased discussion.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, first hand evidence only goes so far. this doesn't mean nothing happened before, but it means we can be less sure of how and when it did happen

Geologic and geomorphology evidence of dating is far more reliable than human testimony and records, but as cited concerning the human record of a catastrophic Yellow River flooding 4,000 years ago in China can be confirmed by geologic and geomorphologic evidence.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
REGIONAL still means REGIONAL!!!!!

The damage over an EXTENSIVE are in 1-2 days is BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS.

There are numerous short term catastrophic events in geologic history and not meaningful concerning the Biblical proportion of the claim of the Biblical flood.

You stand corrected. And you also stand fully biased!!

I can't trust that you will honestly discuss it and therefore bow out of a biased discussion.

If you want to argue for evidence of a Biblical flood as described in the Bible you need to come up with evidence of a long term regional or world flood that at least impacted the Middle East. There is no evidence of any such event.
Apparently, you have decided that the local point was disproved by scientific evidence I gave...

Are we now ready to move to point two?
No, you failed to provide any 'positive evidence' of a Biblical type flood any time in recent geologic history. Still waiting for you to respond to the main issue. Where is the positive evidence for a Biblical flood?

My original post "The flood?!?!? I would love to. There is absolutely no 'positive evidence' for a world nor regional flood on the proportions of a Biblical flood as described in the Bible."

You are definitely misrepresenting my original post.

Biblical proportions

"The Priestly source, Genesis 7:11;8:1-2, describes the nature of the flood waters as a cosmic cataclysm, by the opening of the springs of the deep and the floodgates, or windows, of heaven. This is the reverse of the separation of the waters recounted in the Genesis creation narrative of chapter 1. After Noah and the remnant of animals were secured, the fountains of the great deep and the floodgates, or windows, of the heavens were opened, causing rain to fall on the Earth for 40 days. The waters elevated, with the summits of the highest mountains under 15 cubits (22 feet 6 inches) of water,[18] flooding the world for 150 days, and then receding in 220 days."

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Geologic and geomorphology evidence of dating is far more reliable than human testimony and records, but as cited concerning the human record of a catastrophic Yellow River flooding 4,000 years ago in China can be confirmed by geologic and geomorphologic evidence.

So the human testimony was correct and accurate date-wise, so too for many event thousands of years ago, people recorded dates and we have many independent records confirming the historical age.

Before that we had no records of eye witness accounts, we just don't have the same evidence to back up the timeline of events, it must all be reconstructed remotely = more susceptible to error

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So the human testimony was correct and accurate date-wise, so too for many event thousands of years ago, people recorded dates and we have many independent records confirming the historical age.

Before that we had no records of eye witness accounts, we just don't have the same evidence to back up the timeline of events, it must all be reconstructed remotely = more susceptible to error

I only gave an example of how certain events recorded by ancient people may be confirmed by science. There are other events such as Super Novas, Earthquakes and Tsunamis recorded by ancients that have been since dated by science. Not all recorded as accurately as the flood of the Yellow River, but the dating by scientist does frequently date events as recorded by ancient people.

Note: Chinese and Japanese tend to be more accurate in recording events in ancient history using astronomical observations.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I may not be a geologist but I wasn't born yesterday. Look up the context in which he said that... I stand on my position that he used a fallacy.

I'm right because I am a geologist isn't an argument. I quoted a geologist that others ridiculed... the same later received an award.

No fallacy here! You are barking at the moon.

Proportions of the Biblical flood event:

Genesis flood narrative - Wikipedia

"The Priestly source, Genesis 7:11;8:1-2, describes the nature of the flood waters as a cosmic cataclysm, by the opening of the springs of the deep and the floodgates, or windows, of heaven. This is the reverse of the separation of the waters recounted in the Genesis creation narrative of chapter 1. After Noah and the remnant of animals were secured, the fountains of the great deep and the floodgates, or windows, of the heavens were opened, causing rain to fall on the Earth for 40 days. The waters elevated, with the summitsof the highest mountains under 15 cubits (22 feet 6 inches) of water,[18] flooding the world for 150 days, and then receding in 220 days."