• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Don't Laugh

Hronsdlensel

Let me first warn you this is a long one. I don't mean to be so verbose, but this profoundly upset my entire notion of my spirituality, and if I'm to do any justice to my search, I need to describe all I saw.
Having always been a logical person, I never really subscribed to the notion of a god or gods, though the idea was appealing, because I could never find any evidence of them whatsoever. However...
I had a vision nigh on a month ago. It wasn't your usual sort of vision (if there is such a thing; it was at least not stereotypical); I was in my philosophy class, thinking about the topic of the day (the ethics of euthanasia, cheerily enough), when into my mind burst the image of a clearing in the forest near where I was raised that I had always loved. The clearing lies in a nearly circular depression in the hills, meaning that three sides of the depression were walled with dirt. In the center of the depression was a statue of a beautiful woman, holding her finger to her smiling lips, wearing a cloak of dusky obsidian. In her other hand was a pomegranate. She stood on a pedestal of dark stone, inscribed with characters of languages either unknown or long dead. At the base of the pedestal was a silver bowl, filled to the brim with clear, clean water.
I knew immediately that this was a shrine to the goddess of secrecy and hidden desires. I knew that whenever the water in the bowl evaporated to nothing, a ritual must be done to fill the bowl again so as to maintain the favor of the goddess. One must strip nude and place in the empty bowl an offering of a secret, the more personal and terrifying to reveal, the more powerful. One must then light the secret aflame and induce such pain, either physical or emotional, that one cries. Gathering your tears, one must then bury the ashes of the secret at the base of the shrine and wash the silver bowl in clear, flowing water. Filling the bowl with water, one pours the tears into the water, or cries directly into it, and replaces it at the goddess's feet. The ritual is then complete, and one may then cloth oneself and depart.
I thought I was just daydreaming, that this vivid image was nothing. But for a month it's eaten at me, as though there IS such a shrine in my childhood forest, as though I'm late for the ritual. I know this was a view of the goddess who owns my soul, but I have no name for her, and I wouldn't know how to make a shrine without knowing who to devote it to. Please, if you know of any goddess like this, of any ritual that fits this description, let me know. I've found my deity, and am only too eager to begin my devotions.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
This may depend on where you live. For example, she may be Roman, Hellenic, Norse, or, if you're in America, most likely a Native American Deity.

Also, the languages may be important to know. For example, do you recognize it on this site?

Alphabets / Phonemic alphabets

darkstar

I'm going to assume that this is a legitimate question.

Spirits and Deities rarely just hand you the info. Look up the symbolism of what you've seen, look into various pantheons and cultures. You'll find your answers. But don't go thinking you have the answers already. If you're just looking for EXACTLY what you've seen, then you aren't seeking answers, you're seeking an origin of the vision.

What I'm trying to say, there may not be a Goddess fitting your description 100%
But researching the symbolism may lead you to what you're looking for.

Dipintus

Reading your description, I thought of Persephone: Hades tricked her into eating pomegranate seeds and was associated with death and the night I think.
She was a central figure in the eleusynian mysteries and her myth has been interpreted in psychology as the rapresentation of the attraction of a anive woman to the dark side of men.

Babs

Huh,....with Dipintus's Hades and Persephone suggestion...and it's association with death...perhaps it was a message about Euthynasia. :shrug:

In any event, I've got a question for you: the cloak that you mention the statue was wearing......was it short? Maybe about waist lenght?

....and you said it was black, right?

I really don't know if this is going to help you, but it might help me.

apophenia

A Tibetan would say that this is an example of a display of sem yid (archetypal mind).
They beat Jung and Joseph Campbell to that idea.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Let me first warn you this is a long one. I don't mean to be so verbose, but this profoundly upset my entire notion of my spirituality, and if I'm to do any justice to my search, I need to describe all I saw.
Having always been a logical person, I never really subscribed to the notion of a god or gods, though the idea was appealing, because I could never find any evidence of them whatsoever. However...
I had a vision nigh on a month ago. It wasn't your usual sort of vision (if there is such a thing; it was at least not stereotypical); I was in my philosophy class, thinking about the topic of the day (the ethics of euthanasia, cheerily enough), when into my mind burst the image of a clearing in the forest near where I was raised that I had always loved. The clearing lies in a nearly circular depression in the hills, meaning that three sides of the depression were walled with dirt. In the center of the depression was a statue of a beautiful woman, holding her finger to her smiling lips, wearing a cloak of dusky obsidian. In her other hand was a pomegranate. She stood on a pedestal of dark stone, inscribed with characters of languages either unknown or long dead. At the base of the pedestal was a silver bowl, filled to the brim with clear, clean water.
I knew immediately that this was a shrine to the goddess of secrecy and hidden desires. I knew that whenever the water in the bowl evaporated to nothing, a ritual must be done to fill the bowl again so as to maintain the favor of the goddess. One must strip nude and place in the empty bowl an offering of a secret, the more personal and terrifying to reveal, the more powerful. One must then light the secret aflame and induce such pain, either physical or emotional, that one cries. Gathering your tears, one must then bury the ashes of the secret at the base of the shrine and wash the silver bowl in clear, flowing water. Filling the bowl with water, one pours the tears into the water, or cries directly into it, and replaces it at the goddess's feet. The ritual is then complete, and one may then cloth oneself and depart.
I thought I was just daydreaming, that this vivid image was nothing. But for a month it's eaten at me, as though there IS such a shrine in my childhood forest, as though I'm late for the ritual. I know this was a view of the goddess who owns my soul, but I have no name for her, and I wouldn't know how to make a shrine without knowing who to devote it to. Please, if you know of any goddess like this, of any ritual that fits this description, let me know. I've found my deity, and am only too eager to begin my devotions.

Hi. I've had somewhat similar experiences myself. I'm with the others on this: look to the symbolism first--you get hints from what others think about it, but you have to figure out the meaning for you--and probably not share that. However, you've been shown what the ritual is, and that it's eating at you suggests that it's time for you to do the ritual. I doubt that it has to be as elaborate and in the location as your vision showed it, but that is what you would call to mind as you work your way through the steps you describe.