• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PlayStation 5 will play PlayStation 4 games ?

ronki23

I don't have a PS4 so I'm wondering whether to buy PS5 if it has backwards compatibility.

I don't understand why PS3 couldn't play PS2 games considering they're just DVD disks. The same applies for PS4 not playing PS3 games even though they're just Blu Ray disks.

How would PS4 files be saved on PS5? I'm assuming the save files will be a different format between PS4 and PS5?

I didn't bother getting PS4 because the only 2 games I wanted were Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid 5 but I haven't completed Arkham City properly and I can't complete Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker so I never bothered to go onto the sequels of them.

What are the good PS4 and PS5 games anyway ?

silvermoon383

PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with the PS2 (excluding a few launch models that were) because the cell processor inside couldn't run the PS2 software. (The few models that were backwards compatible were because they actually put a PS2 "under the hood" as well, was later removed as a cost-saving feature, which the 3 desperately needed at the time.) Same issue for why the 4 isn't compatible with games programmed for the 3.

If the 5 is compatible with 4 games, the save files will probably be saved on the built in HDD, just like they've been for the 4 and 3. If you bought old PS1 and 2 games through PSN as digital games on the 3 or 4 they had a saved game utility that acted like a virtual memory card.

As for the good games, really depends on your tastes. For me it was:

Final Fantasy XIV
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ace Combat 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mass Effect Andromeda

(Not listed in any particular order)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't have a PS4 so I'm wondering whether to buy PS5 if it has backwards compatibility.

I don't understand why PS3 couldn't play PS2 games considering they're just DVD disks. The same applies for PS4 not playing PS3 games even though they're just Blu Ray disks.

How would PS4 files be saved on PS5? I'm assuming the save files will be a different format between PS4 and PS5?

I didn't bother getting PS4 because the only 2 games I wanted were Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid 5 but I haven't completed Arkham City properly and I can't complete Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker so I never bothered to go onto the sequels of them.

Considering the pathetic library of games as compared to PC,....

I've come to the conclusion now they don't want backwards compatibility unless they can soak you for more cash out of it. Even then, they won't give you access to games you've enjoyed in the past unless you have the original system.

Case in point is these new retro systems they come pre-packaged with games but damn if you can't play your own game library on them with the physical software that you bought over the years.

personally I would love a original Xbox console emulator where I can play my old Operation Flashpoint elite.

Twilight Hue

PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with the PS2 (excluding a few launch models that were) because the cell processor inside couldn't run the PS2 software. (The few models that were backwards compatible were because they actually put a PS2 "under the hood" as well, was later removed as a cost-saving feature, which the 3 desperately needed at the time.) Same issue for why the 4 isn't compatible with games programmed for the 3.

If the 5 is compatible with 4 games, the save files will probably be saved on the built in HDD, just like they've been for the 4 and 3. If you bought old PS1 and 2 games through PSN as digital games on the 3 or 4 they had a saved game utility that acted like a virtual memory card.

Final Fantasy XIV
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ace Combat 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mass Effect Andromeda

The odd thing is I would love to buy an original console like a lot of the cartridge-based retro systems already have done.

I can't picture it being that difficult to do yet the main companies like Microsoft and Sony refuse to do it.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I used to be a PS fan, but after the 2-3 debacle, I decided if I have to throw out my old games I might as well get an Xbox360. I haven't regretted that decision ever, lol. The new Xbox One Series X will work with all of the old games from the Xbox One. (and whatever 360 titles it currently supports).

But, it's just that PS5 radically changes their hardware to break compatibility. They keep doing it so I don't trust Sony in the future. It's likely that any game you get on a PS5 will not work with PS6 as well....

ronki23

Considering the pathetic library of games as compared to PC,....

I've come to the conclusion now they don't want backwards compatibility unless they can soak you for more cash out of it. Even then, they won't give you access to games you've enjoyed in the past unless you have the original system.

Case in point is these new retro systems they come pre-packaged with games but damn if you can't play your own game library on them with the physical software that you bought over the years.

I don't understand this- please elaborate

Twilight Hue

I don't understand this- please elaborate
I have a retcon emulator which is basically a standalone console that I can play my old game cartridges on. Particularly NES and Genesis. It's really a lot of fun that I can play my old library again.

Unfortunately they have been coming out with emulators with pre-loaded games with the so-called mini consoles, l but I cannot take any of my physical discs that are in my library put it into the machine and play it.

I would love it if somebody developed a third-party console that plays physical discs such as those with the original Xbox and PlayStation games.

Twilight Hue

I used to be a PS fan, but after the 2-3 debacle, I decided if I have to throw out my old games I might as well get an Xbox360. I haven't regretted that decision ever, lol. The new Xbox One Series X will work with all of the old games from the Xbox One. (and whatever 360 titles it currently supports).

But, it's just that PS5 radically changes their hardware to break compatibility. They keep doing it so I don't trust Sony in the future. It's likely that any game you get on a PS5 will not work with PS6 as well....
I hate it when I'm stuck with a library I paid a lot of money for and it just gathers dust because I don't have the hardware to play it. It's why I'm a big fan of retro consoles.

Unfortunately even backwards compatibility is limited on purpose. I doubt on the new Xbox I'll be able to play my old operation flashpoint elite from the Xbox original.

I'm dying for a real milsim like Xbox elite was for the original Xbox, but they just don't have any yet or they're just simply not willing to make one at least in the true sense of the word. At least I have my PC and I have Arma 2

ronki23

I have a retcon emulator which is basically a standalone console that I can play my old game cartridges on. Particularly NES and Genesis. It's really a lot of fun that I can play my old library again.

Unfortunately they have been coming out with emulators with pre-loaded games with the so-called mini consoles, l but I cannot take any of my physical discs that are in my library put it into the machine and play it.

I would love it if somebody developed a third-party console that plays physical discs such as those with the original Xbox and PlayStation games.

Final Fantasy XIV
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ace Combat 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mass Effect Andromeda

I thought the PS5 will play PS4 games ? As far as I know it'll take the disks?

If that is the case then why didn't PS4 play PS3 games if they're both Blu Ray ?

The old PS3 used to play PS2 games.

Speaking of which, how many versions of PS4 are there because Sony often releases a smaller, cheaper model 2-3 years later