• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plastic bag ban

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
What do people think of this? is it effective environmental policy ? is it needed ?

I live in a coastal community and I am thinking of working on this at the county level. I live in a red county any advice on how to approach this issue from a conservative context?

Does plastic in the ocean hurt fishing or tourism?

Kirran

Premium Member
What do people think of this? is it effective environmental policy ? is it needed ?

I live in a coastal community and I am thinking of working on this at the county level. I live in a red county any advice on how to approach this issue from a conservative context?

Yeah, it hurts fishing and tourism.

All I'll say is it was banned in Wales many years ago, and last year in England too, and the reduction in use of plastic bags has decreased massively. Like, overnight it went down to like a tenth of what it had been in supermarkets, and probably kept decreasing as people got used to using durable bags etc.

A great idea.

Iti oj

Premium Member
It would generate change however I imagine plastic bags are far from the biggest plastic related environmental issues.

I opt for a ban of consumable plastic water bottles(not reusable).
Do you have any links on its impact on fishing and tourism ? I'm worried that the bad for marine life isn't enough . Though a county tax will help this broke ads community

Iti oj

Premium Member
It would generate change however I imagine plastic bags are far from the biggest plastic related environmental issues.

I opt for a ban of consumable plastic water bottles(not reusable).
One seems more tackable at the county level. I think the bottle issue will require more change and work.

Iti oj

Premium Member
The use of paper bags instead of plastic should be considered in the equation.
I've personally made that switch. Though I do use some plastic as I pack my lunches in it and put bags around my socks when it's wet.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've personally made that switch. Though I do use some plastic as I pack my lunches in it and put bags around my socks when it's wet.
I think that many people use the plastic grocery bags to line their small waste receptacles.
I think that if the plastic bags were made illegal, people might buy the small plastic wastepaper bags.

It is odd so few people use a reusable shopping bag. Also, no one but me seems to think of using the boxes that held product for packing my own groceries. They do that at the Co-op, but I have never seen anyone else do it at the standard grocery store. Then, the boxes can be used for sending my eBay junk out.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I think that many people use the plastic grocery bags to line their small waste receptacles.
I think that if the plastic bags were made illegal, people might buy the small plastic wastepaper bags.

It is odd so few people use a reusable shopping bag. Also, no one but me seems to think of using the boxes that held product for packing my own groceries. They do that at the Co-op, but I have never seen anyone else do it at the standard grocery store. Then, the boxes can be used for sending my eBay junk out.
Places like Costco do that. Costco doesn't even have bags .

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To fight pollution effectively people must change.
This is what I witnessed during a visit to Washington DC, so I looked it up and it bothers other people, not just me.

litter-capitol-reflecting-pool-xjpg.jpg
https://darrengarnick.wordpress.com/tag/garbage/

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Places like Costco do that. Costco doesn't even have bags .
Sams does that too. Warehouse stores are not standard. Most of the items are so big that each item might need one bag.

People need to change. I personally think change is what my religion is all about.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Both. I often teach and guide Scuba Divers. Plastic bags are anathema. Turtles mistake them for jellyfish. Once eaten, they cannot pass the plastic and screws up their digestive system. I've even seen where it has covered and smothered pillar coral, some of the slowest growing coral on the reef. California charges a quarter a bag. I love it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People with cats might be sorry that other people caused the elimination of plastic bags at the grocery store.

Iti oj

Premium Member
The question for me is how to sell this to a conservative community

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Don't assume that conservatives don't care - my experience is that people care more about the environment in real life than bipartisan politics would suggest.