• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Pizzly" shot dead in Canada

mr.guy

crapsack
Hybrid bear shot dead in Canada

A white bear with brown patches shot dead in northern Canada is the first grizzly-polar hybrid found in the wild, DNA tests have confirmed.

Canadian wildlife officials say it is the offspring of a male grizzly bear and a female polar bear.

There have long been stories of oddly coloured bears living in regions where the two territories overlap.

But until now, grizzly-polar hybrids, dubbed "grolar bears" or "pizzlies", have been found only in zoos.

The hybrid bear was shot last month by an American big game hunter on Banks Island, Northwest Territories, Canada.

His guide, Roger Kuptana, noticed the creature had the long claws and slightly humped back of a grizzly bear and thought it might be a hybrid.

The body was seized by officials, who sent a DNA sample for tests which confirmed its unusual origins.

"It's something we've all known was theoretically possible because their habitats overlap a little bit and their breeding seasons overlap a little bit," said Ian Stirling, a biologist at the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton.

"It's the first time it's known to have happened in the wild."

Nanulak bear

Polar and grizzly bears have been bred together in zoos, but in the wild they rarely cross paths.

However, some grizzly bears have been seen venturing across the ice towards polar bear territory to search for food after emerging from hibernation. This might explain how the rare union occurred.

"In the limited area where the two species' ranges overlap, it is not entirely surprising that we might find a polar-grizzly hybrid," said David Field, Zoological Director of the Zoological Society of London.

"However, there are behavioural differences between the species, including timing of mating seasons, that make such hybrids highly unusual and it is unlikely that any resultant offspring would be viable."

Canadian wildlife officials are now thinking up a name for the creature. Some of the suggestions they have come up with so far are "pizzly", "grolar bear" or "nanulak", after the Inuit names for polar bear (nanuk) and grizzly bear (aklak).

From the BBC.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Now Mr. Guy...you know I am a fan of yours. And in fact just yesterday asked you to marry me. But.....is this a true story? Sounds fishy....:sarcastic

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Buttercup said:
Now Mr. Guy...you know I am a fan of yours. And in fact just yesterday asked you to marry me. But.....is this a true story? Sounds fishy....:sarcastic
A little sceptical after falling for that Sinstone thread link? :shrug:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
A little sceptical after falling for that Sinstone thread link? :shrug:

:biglaugh: How did you know? :D Yeah...didn't want to look like a fool twice in the same day...I prefer to spread it out a bit.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
mr.guy said:
The BBC wouldn't lie, would it?

Ok....well, now I'm sad. I never understand why someone would bear hunt in the first place. Do people eat bears? Urg. I can't imagine killing an animal.

But....it is an interesting article, MG. And I had never heard of this cross breed before so thanks for the info.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
"American Big Game Hunter..." isn't that a computer game?

Sorry BC, your countries full of arseholes.

evearael

This is actually not a good thing with declining population levels, if there are too many hybrids with only a small population of true polar bears left...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttercup said:
Ok....well, now I'm sad. I never understand why someone would bear hunt in the first place. Do people eat bears? Urg. I can't imagine killing an animal.

But....it is an interesting article, MG. And I had never heard of this cross breed before so thanks for the info.

I was just going to say I saw this yesterday, and confirm that Mr Guy wasn't pulling your leg (though how he could do that, even on broadband defeats me).

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I just read about it today .

And yes , some people do eat bear , but usually only Black Bear that I know about ??? But I don't think either the Grizzly nor Polar is endangered in Canada yet ??? Although there may be concern .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
And in related news ...

An off-duty RCMP officer , out jogging with his two dogs yesterday in the town just to the north of me was attacked by a female Black Bear . It appears that he was allowing his dogs to run ahead , and they brought the bear back to him . The officer stepped in when one of the dogs got caught , and although he and the dogs were injured , none were harmed too badly and they managed to fight the bear off .

It is believed that the bear had young and was protecting them , so the officals have decided that the bear could live .... Ain't that nice ? The man didn't control his dogs , and the bear will be allowed to live .