• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pietism

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Pietism

Pietism
was a movement within Lutheranism, lasting from the late-17th century to the mid-18th century. It proved to be very influential throughout Protestantism and Anabaptism, inspiring not only Anglican priest John Wesley to begin the Methodist movement, but also Alexander Mack to begin the Brethren movement. The Pietist movement combined the Lutheran emphasis on Biblical doctrine with the Reformed, and especially Puritan, emphasis on individual piety, and a vigorous Christian life.

As forerunners of the Pietists in the strict sense, certain voices had been heard bewailing the shortcomings of the Church and advocating a revival of practical and devout Christianity. Amongst them were Christian mystic Jakob Boehme (Behmen); Johann Arndt, whose work, True Christianity, became widely known and appreciated; Heinrich Müller, who described the font, the pulpit, the confessional and the altar as "the four dumb idols of the Lutheran Church;" theologian Johann Valentin Andrea, court chaplain of the landgrave of Hesse; Schuppius, who sought to restore to the Bible its place in the pulpit; and Theophilus Grossgebauer (d. 1661) of Rostock, who from his pulpit and by his writings raised what he called "the alarm cry of a watchman in Sion."

Pietism did not die out in the 18th Century but was alive and active in the Evangelische Kirchenverein des Westen (later German Evangelical Church and still later the Evangelical and Reformed Church) The church president from 1901 to 1914 was Dr. Jakob Pister and a pietist. A discussion of some of the earlier pietist influence in the E and R church can be found in Dunn et.al, "A History of the Evangelical and Reformed Church" Christian Education Press, Philadelphia, 1962. Further commentary can be found by Rev. Dr. Carl Viehe under Pietism, Illinois Trails, Washington County. Some vestiges of Pietism were still present in 1957 at the time of the formation of the United Church of Christ.

The name of Pietist was given to the adherents of the movement by its enemies as a term of ridicule, like that of "Methodists" somewhat later in England. The Lutheran Church continued Philipp Melanchthon's attempt to construct an intellectual backbone for the Evangelical Lutheran faith. By the 17th century the denomination remained a confessional theological and sacramental institution, influenced by orthodox theologians such as Johann Gerhard of Jena (d. 1637), and keeping with the liturgical traditions of the
Roman Catholicism of which it saw itself as a reformed variation. In the Reformed Church, on the other hand, the influence of John Calvin had not only influenced doctrine, but for a particular formation of Christian life. The Presbyterian traditions of the constitution gave the people a share in church life which the Lutherans lacked, but it involved a dogmatic legalism which, the Lutherans believed, imperilled Christian freedom and fostered self-righteousness. [FONT=&quot]» [/FONT]Continue...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Out of interest, does this Pietism hold any resemblance to the European Jewish philosophy, which originated around the mid-12th century, that happens to share the same name?

ayani

thank you, Tigress.

i grew up Lutheran, and am always interested to know more about the roots of what, for me as a kid, was a not-very-inspiring faith. i'm not learning that is is not / need not be a dry denomination.

the LBW is actually a very fun and profound read.

standing_alone

Interesting read. Thanks, Tigress.

gracie said:
i grew up Lutheran, and am always interested to know more about the roots of what, for me as a kid, was a not-very-inspiring faith. i'm not learning that is is not / need not be a dry denomination.

I grew up Lutheran, too. Wisconsin Evengelical Synod. What synod Lutheran were you (if you don't mind me asking)?

ayani

standing_alone said:
I grew up Lutheran, too. Wisconsin Evengelical Synod. What synod Lutheran were you (if you don't mind me asking)?

ELCA, churches in NJ and NH respectively. are you guys part of the ELCA or the Missouri Synod?

standing_alone

gracie said:
ELCA, churches in NJ and NH respectively. are you guys part of the ELCA or the Missouri Synod?

I don't believe the Wisconsin Synod is part of ELCA. I think it's independent. I'm not sure though and it's been some time since I've been involved in any way with that (or any) church. :D

I remember my old church putting down ELCA and the Missouri Synod. I hate to be harsh on my old denomination, but I swear it's like the Nazi wing of the various Lutheran churches. :D Women were not allowed to even vote on church matters.

ayani

standing_alone said:
I remember my old church putting down ELCA and the Missouri Synod. I hate to be harsh on my old denomination, but I swear it's like the Nazi wing of the various Lutheran churches. :D Women were not allowed to even vote on church matters.

ouch! that's interesting, because the pastor of our church in NJ was a Pastor Linda. heaven help the person who questioned the role of women in the church within her hearing range! she was a strong woman, leader, and role model.

Nazi Lutherans... i wonder what Bonhoeffer would think of that? :D

standing_alone

gracie said:
ouch! that's interesting, because the pastor of our church in NJ was a Pastor Linda. heaven help the person who questioned the role of women in the church within her hearing range! she was a strong woman, leader, and role model.

:eek: Whoah! Wait just a second! Some Lutheran churches allow women to be pastors?! Wow, that would never fly with WELS. Men can only be pastors, so I was instructed.

Nazi Lutherans... i wonder what Bonhoeffer would think of that? :D

I bet he would be very disappointed, to say the least. :D

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
You're all quite welcome.

NordicBearskin said:
Out of interest, does this Pietism hold any resemblance to the European Jewish philosophy, which originated around the mid-12th century, that happens to share the same name?

I don't know, but it's entirely possible since both originated in Germany.

ayani

standing_alone said:
:eek: Whoah! Wait just a second! Some Lutheran churches allow women to be pastors?! Wow, that would never fly with WELS. Men can only be pastors, so I was instructed.

wow, yeah. in the ELCA at least, women can be ordained.

i remember my mother telling me that was a big thing that drew her to the Lutheran Church from Catholicism- that women could be pastors.

http://www.allsaintsnj.org/pastorinfo.htm

^ here she is!

ayani

standing_alone said:
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the information and for the link. Pastor Linda seems like a brilliant person, too.

ya, i remember her as an incredibly bright, sharp, focused woman. i would love to go to church with her presiding again someday.

cturne

servant of God
standing_alone said:

WELS, and other synods they are in fellowship with, like ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) and 30 other Lutheran church bodies worldwide, still only allow men to be pastors, and do not allow women's suffrage. This is based on scripture. ELCA is a very liberal Lutheran church, in comparison. There is a very good book in print called "What's Going On Among the Lutherans?" co-authored by Patsy Leppien and J. Kincaid Smith which is a must-read for anyone who wants to know the theological differences between the different Lutheran Church bodies. (BTW, J. Kincaid Smith just happens to be my church's Pastor!)