• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picking up the tab

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Dating ritual remains: men still more likely to pick up tab | Toronto Star

I found this interesting article today and thought I would share; I think it shows an area I have long had mainly anecdotal evidence for, that it is expected that men foot the bill in terms of dating.

Though I think the 44% that said they wouldnt date a woman who didnt share the bill are probably talking out their rear - it is amusing to note that it is exactly the same proportion of women who are 'bothered' by being expected to contribute at all (though even then the article notes that after 6 months there are at least 17% (possibly more) that havent contributed at all to paying the expenses - let alone half).

It is somewhat intriguing that during courtship some of these traditional gender roles are considered the norm - yet during a long term relationship equality is expected.

Galen.Iksnudnard

For me picking up the tab wasn't really so much about the gender rules, it was about just being polite and doing the right thing. If I asked someone out on a date and that person was taking the time to spend the night with me, the least I could do would be to pick up the tab.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I was never the kind to systematically pick up the tab. Truthfully, I believe both men and women in my social environment would find that primitive. Usually it is shared. Hell I dated women who picked the tab themselves.
I don't pay for everything in marriage either. Both my wife and I have helped each other in matters of finance and material. If I want to treat my wife I am always cool with buying flowers, chocolate, etc. But the big things are shared.