• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophical vs Spiritual Pursuits

PivotalSyntax

Spiritual Luftmensch
This question has been throbbing and pulsating in my mind for quite some time. When I refer to spiritual pursuits, I am mainly referring to my understanding of Buddhism and Taoism. These spiritual pursuits wish to cease suffering of the self, or enlightenment, yes? Through removing the ego, mindfulness, etc. This is also put into practice through a virtuous life, and spiritual practices such as meditation. I am wondering whether philosophy can also be a gateway into understanding, and into a gateway of non-suffering of self, or enlightenment as it is so called. Philosophy seeks answers to have unity, so can one become one with the God (in any sense) through philosophy?

I am working hard to seek answers on this topic.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Philosophy as I understand it is hypothesizing without proof. The Greeks were good at this, Aristotle, Plato, Pythagorus etc, but they did little science. If the theory was correct and with stood the test of time it became fact. Pythagorus theorem of A^2=B^2 + C^2 is like that, hence his is a household name, but his other concept of all matter been made of primitive polygonal shapes is nonsense.

Since one philosophical possibility is the presence of the supernatural, so spirituality is a subset of philosophy just as science is, however there is little overlap of the 2 subsets

Cheers

Onkara

These spiritual pursuits wish to cease suffering of the self, or enlightenment, yes? Through removing the ego, mindfulness, etc. This is also put into practice through a virtuous life, and spiritual practices such as meditation. I am wondering whether philosophy can also be a gateway into understanding, and into a gateway of non-suffering of self, or enlightenment as it is so called. Philosophy seeks answers to have unity, so can one become one with the God (in any sense) through philosophy?

Hi PivotalSyntax
Yes, correct. Enlightenment removes the suffering. It does not remove you from the material world, you can still get hit by a bus and I am told that hurts. Enlightenment is not an event or a hidden power as such, rather a clarification which leads to lasting clarity, inner peace and bliss. Most words and descriptions will miss the mark and cause debate in posts which come. However the point is that enlightenment is for the individual to know, and any description may sound more like dogma or an advertising campaign for another self-help book.

To some people, altruism appears to be a greater goal than Self enlightenment. So one could say the aim for Self-Enlightenment is selfish and how can individual enlightenment helps others?

It helps others because unless one can show others out of the cave then we are all doomed to wonder in the darkness, thinking the shadows on the wall are reality. Not only that but who do you start with? You can only start with yourself, you are the subject and the doctor. This is why a requirement, prescribed by Adi Shankara, for enlightenment (moksha) is the strong desire to become free whilst living. If there is no desire or the aspirant is caught up with the idea that altruism is greater then chances are diminished.

Roughly speaking enlightenment occurs in consciousness. It is in and through consciousness that one will come to recognise it. Because this is the case it is philosophy which addresses the consciousness. Sure we can use science and material measures, but if enlightenment could be extracted in a laboratory and sold in pills then you would be at a pharmacy already, I am joking of course. In other words you know that the answer lies in philosophy. :)

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
This question has been throbbing and pulsating in my mind for quite some time. When I refer to spiritual pursuits, I am mainly referring to my understanding of Buddhism and Taoism. These spiritual pursuits wish to cease suffering of the self, or enlightenment, yes? Through removing the ego, mindfulness, etc. This is also put into practice through a virtuous life, and spiritual practices such as meditation. I am wondering whether philosophy can also be a gateway into understanding, and into a gateway of non-suffering of self, or enlightenment as it is so called. Philosophy seeks answers to have unity, so can one become one with the God (in any sense) through philosophy?

Well.. if you want to go through non-suffering, I will go ahead an tell you philosophy is not the path to take.

Personally, I don't mind my own suffering anymore.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

You're confusing yourself.

Try this.
Make a list of the nouns your used in your op.
Consider the relationship each item with every other item.
Mix and match...a lot.

Then rephrase your question.
Better questions...get better answers.