• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal honesty called for over Communion

Scott1

Confused Catholics influenced by secular society no longer fully understand the Eucharist and need an urgent pastoral programme to explain its true meaning, according to a new Vatican document.

It says many believers are confused due to an “increasingly secularised society [that] has caused a weakening in the sense of mystery” and the sense of sin. What they need is more emphasis on prayer and adoration.

The newly released instrumentum laboris (working paper) for October’s international Synod of Bishops catalogues the views of bishops’ conferences, religious communities, and lay people in response to a draft text sent out at the beginning of the year.

“In many countries,” the document says, “persons have lost, or are gradually losing, an awareness that conversion is necessary for receiving the Eucharist … Thought needs to be given to the great disproportion between the many who receive Holy Communion and the few who go to confession.” The paper underlines that it is an act of “personal dishonesty” and a scandal for people to receive Communion if they are divorced and remarried, deny church teaching, or publicly support immoral choices. It also stresses the need for eucharistic celebrations to recapture the sense of the sacred and for priests to act less like “showmen” who draw attention to themselves.

The Synod’s working document catalogues a number of the “lights” (positive elements) and “shadows” (negative aspects) that respondents sent back surrounding the celebration of the Eucharist. “Generally speaking, the responses … reveal a certain decrease in the understanding of the mystery celebrated,” the document says. It also reports an alarming drop in the percentage of Catholics who attend Sunday Mass – as low as 5 per cent in some countries.

The document says “neglect of prayer, contemplation, and adoration of the Eucharistic mystery has weakened the sense of the sacred”. Among other concerns it lists “improvisation during the Eucharistic Prayer”, the failure of “celebrant and ministers to use proper liturgical vestments” and “inadequate catechesis for Communion in the hand and its proper distribution”.

“It is worth considering whether the removal of the tabernacle from the centre of the sanctuary … has contributed in some way to a decrease in faith in the Real Presence,” the working paper says.

It says some respondents believe “bringing the faithful in too close proximity of the altar and the tendency to turn the altar around to face the people … might not sufficiently safeguard a sense of the sacred”. The document says it is “encouraging” that many places have returned to using “kneelers”.

Priests are urged to “humbly” follow the “spirit and letter of liturgical norms” because “the faithful show a particular sensitivity to arbitrary changes in the rite”.

Among other suggestions from respondents were: greater celebration of eucharistic adoration, the increased use of Latin “particularly at international celebrations”, a revival of Gregorian chant, and catechesis to underscore the difference between the ordained and non-ordained ministry. “Some responses raised the question of the timeliness of returning to the obligation of the three-hour eucharistic fast,” the document says. Current church law says Catholics are to fast for one hour prior to receiving Communion. The new 85-page document was unveiled at a press conference in Rome on 7 July. Some 250 members are scheduled to attend the eleventh ordinary Synod session from 2 to 23 October under the theme, “The Eucharist: Source and summit of the life and mission of the Church”. Pope Paul VI established the synod in 1965 during the Second Vatican Council, and Archbishop Nikola Eteroviç, the Synod’s secretary general, said one full day of the three-week gathering would be dedicated to remembering the fortieth anniversary of the Synod, which was explicitly designed to foster collegiality between the Pope and the bishops.
Robert Mickens, Rome

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/cgi-bin/citw.cgi/past-00239

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can see and understand a lot of the logic and sense in that, but (IMO) returning to the use of Latin would not help 'bring in the customers' - perhaps some services for those who are very devout, and some more liberal ones for those who are not so devout?)(

Scott1

michel said:
I can see and understand a lot of the logic and sense in that, but (IMO) returning to the use of Latin would not help 'bring in the customers' - perhaps some services for those who are very devout, and some more liberal ones for those who are not so devout?)(
Nah... the Latin Mass is a thing of the past... but people still cling to traditions... I think that (like the article says) for large celebrations it would be great, but the local language is still going to be the language of the Mass for now.

Our parrish does a Latin Mass once a month.... keeps the older crowd happy;) .... but it does make you think how amazing it once was... say 50 years ago on a Sunday.... all over the world, Roman Catholics would be speaking the same language, reading the same liturgy....every Mass-- all 50,000 or so... all the same. It's a wonderful notion... but I don't speak Latin!:eek:

fromthe heart

I think it's just as wonderful to think that the same service being said all around the world in the language of the country is just as good. The people need to hear and understand in their own language. Since God understands all languages wouldn't He be hearing it as one language despite the different tongues around the world? He did after all create the different languages...but to have all Christians hearing the same service all around the world would be quite good wouldn't it? Shouldn't all recieve it in their own language for better spiritual growth and understanding?:)

Scott1

fromthe heart said:
Shouldn't all recieve it in their own language for better spiritual growth and understanding?:)
Well, that's why we changed with Vatican II..... now 98% of RC Churches read the Liturgy in the language of the locals.... we still all read the same liturgy in every Church (which I think is amazing), but now it's in the language the people are most comfortable with.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
michel said:
I don't think so...I would've loved to hear a little Latin at mass. I'm sure you still get the meaning, it's hard to miss because of the prayerful tone.

That is also weird to note the drop in attendance. The church I went to had about 900 people, a few more and it would've been standing room only. I guess it's different elsewhere.

But, if they aren't going to confessional, isn't that a good thing? Cause then, maybe it's because they didn't have anything to confess. :p Suuuure.

Scott1

johnnys4life said:
I don't think so...I would've loved to hear a little Latin at mass. I'm sure you still get the meaning, it's hard to miss because of the prayerful tone.
It is kinda amazing to be at a Mass held in a language you don't understand.

I went to a Mass in Mexico last year that was in Spanish. Unlike a Protestant service, where I would be lost without knowing what the "sermon" was about... I still felt at home.... I knew exactly what was going on and could follow along in my head... I gave the responses in English... which drew a few curious looks.... but the Roman Catholic Mass is the same all around the world.

Almost like Christ had a plan for it..... ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
fromthe heart said:
I think it's just as wonderful to think that the same service being said all around the world in the language of the country is just as good. The people need to hear and understand in their own language. Since God understands all languages wouldn't He be hearing it as one language despite the different tongues around the world? He did after all create the different languages...but to have all Christians hearing the same service all around the world would be quite good wouldn't it? Shouldn't all recieve it in their own language for better spiritual growth and understanding?:)
Of course, I agree with you - but, on a side note, I think God sees what is in our hearts more than he listens to words - which is why I love singing so much - that, to me, is like speaking from the heart.(I've jut seen the last three words - no pun intended!):)